New to the Forum

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor X
Victor Jr

New to the Forum

Post by Victor X »

Hello all! I am new the Forum and thought I would introduce myself. My name is David and I live Norfolk, VA, USA. I just bought my first talking machine a Victor Victrola VV X (1917 by its serial number). It’s cabinet is not in the best condition (thanks for the Goop tip it helped) but it does play records (picked up locally for $150). I started googling repairs/restoration and this forum kept coming up in my google search and I found a lot of valuable information so decided to join the group.
Attachments
1391452F-32E2-4BC1-8866-412FC2529A16.jpeg
17D426EE-F507-446E-927F-C0F0822B0006.jpeg
F3C2B506-EDDF-408D-9CDB-D30A18F870EA.jpeg

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: New to the Forum

Post by GregVTLA »

Welcome to the forum! You've got a nice machine there, it should clean up very nicely! If you need anything, just ask the group and the issue will probably be solved.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Welcome to the Forum!! I am sure you will enjoy your great looking phonograph. Don't hesitate to ask any questions about your phonograph or other related subjects. People on this Forum are more than happy to help.
Ken Brekke

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Welcome! The members here have helped me immensely over the past few years. With advice, parts, and acquisitions. This is a great community, and you will be glad you joined.

Matt

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Welcome to the Forum. A similar Victrola X was my first Victrola about 45 years ago and I paid $150 for mine. The X is a fine machine with classic Victrola good looks in a small package. Jerry Blais (Albany, Oregon)

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

You have a nice machine and a good acoustic record on the turntable. Enjoy the hobby and yes, there are many people who can help as you need information.

Don

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

From an A to an X, welcome to the forum!
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Congratulations to your first talking machine and welcome to the forum. Your VV-X looks great, don’t forget it’s 100 years old and it would be unnatural if it looked like new. Don’t let yourself be confused by tv shows like American Restoration, they aren’t much better than the shabby chic er’s , because they destroy all the history of an antique. You will find many helpful posts here that will help you with your new treasure. And if search doesn’t help answering your questions,, just ask. The members of this forum have an incredible wealth of knowledge and happily share it with others.

Have fun
Andreas

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

OK Mr. X, Before you set off to play 78 rpm records, purchase new needles There are different needles for different volumes, soft tone, medium tone, and loud tone AND you use them once per play. Your X was made at a time when the recordings were acoustical and the weight of the tonearm and reproducer were a bit heavier---later, recordings and tonearms were electrical and lighter on the record, so you really should not play records from the forties. You will get an education from other members informing you on different aspects of care of the X and of records---heat and cleaning solvents can destroy the shellac records that you will be playing. Enjoy and be prepared for the addiction ---Ha Ha.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

You will not regret your decision: here are assembled many knowledgeable and helpful collectors (or, as some might say, addiction enablers ;) ), who will guide you on your journey.

Should you wish to go further down the rabbit hole, the Antique Phonograph Society will gladly take your hand...

Bill