1927 Sears Catalog Phonograph Section Scan

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jwb88
Victor II

1927 Sears Catalog Phonograph Section Scan

Post by Jwb88 »

I thought this might be helpful to those interested in the Sears Silvertone phonographs. I scanned the full eight page section of phonographs and records. They are from the 1970s or 80s reprint of the 1927 Sears catalog. Someone may have posted these before, but I thought it would be timely since at least two members are currently restoring Silvertones depicted here, one Imperial and one Argyle.
Attachments
SearsCatalog1927Cover.jpg
Truphonic1927-1.jpg
Truphonic1927-2.jpg
Truphonic1927-3.jpg
Truphonic1927-4.jpg
Truphonic1927-5.jpg
Truphonic1927-6.jpg
Truphonic1927-7.jpg
Truphonic1927-8.jpg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: 1927 Sears Catalog Phonograph Section Scan

Post by OrthoFan »

Many thanks for posting this! Nearly 40 years ago, I made a photocopy of all the pages you've scanned from a copy of the book I found at the public library, but they got lost in the shuffle over the decades.

It's interesting to note that the small, upright model was called the "Consolette." Other off-brand manufacturers used the same name for similar models during this period, so obviously, Victor did not have the word trademarked.

I used to own the Silvertone "Portola" portable--illustrated on the last page of the phonograph ads. In fact, it was the first wind-up phonograph I acquired. I remember it was very loud, but did not have much of a tone, since the "horn" was just a small, tapered pocket seated below the tonearm. The reproducer was equipped with a mica diaphragm, and was similar in size to the Victor/HMV No. 4 sound box. I think, the following year--circa 1928 or 1929--Sears introduced their Tru-Phonic portable model, which offered a substantial improvement in sound quality.

I've never seen a copy of the 1928 or 1929 Sears catalog. It would be interesting to see how the various Tru-Phonic models evolved.

OrthoFan

CMac1974
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Record, Machines, Records, Machines.... Decisions Decisions!

Re: 1927 Sears Catalog Phonograph Section Scan

Post by CMac1974 »

Thank you!