Need Horn Elbow for Victor II (morning glory horn)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
melvind
Victor IV

Re: Need Horn Elbow for Victor II (morning glory horn)

Post by melvind »

Do you know about WIMAPS? It is a Wisconsin/Illinois based phonograph group. There are some very nice, fun and knowledgable folks in that group. Checkout http://www.wimaps.org/ .

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

melvind wrote:Do you know about WIMAPS? It is a Wisconsin/Illinois based phonograph group. There are some very nice, fun and knowledgable folks in that group. Checkout http://www.wimaps.org/ .
That’s awesome, I’ll definitely have to check them out!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

lilnipper wrote:Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping that I'm doing this right. Anyways I just purchased a Victor II gramophone it came with the witches hat but I also bought a morning glory horn. However it didn't come with the horn elbow so I can't use it. Does anyone have a Victor II horn elbow for sale or any info on where to find one? Please let me know. :)

Hi and welcome. I may be having a senior moment here, but if you have a "witch's hat", doesn't that use the same elbow? Could you add some pictures? The end of the horn should be conical and have a short pin protruding. The elbow should have a slot that forms a ramp of sorts to wedge the horn into the elbow. The horn is removed by gently rotating the horn in the direction that allows the pin to move toward open area of the slot and toward the large end of the elbow. When the pin gets to the end of the slot it should pull straight out.

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

Django wrote:

I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping that I'm doing this right. Anyways I just purchased a Victor II gramophone it came with the witches hat but I also bought a morning glory horn. However it didn't come with the horn elbow so I can't use it. Does anyone have a Victor II horn elbow for sale or any info on where to find one? Please let me know. :)

Hi and welcome. I may be having a senior moment here, but if you have a "witch's hat", doesn't that use the same elbow? Could you add some pictures? The end of the horn should be conical and have a short pin protruding. The elbow should have a slot that forms a ramp of sorts to wedge the horn into the elbow. The horn is removed by gently rotating the horn in the direction that allows the pin to move toward open area of the slot and toward the large end of the elbow. When the pin gets to the end of the slot it should pull straight out.
Okay, well I’m brand new to this so I was unsure of how to detach the horn elbow without scratching the witches hat. Maybe I can try again.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

lilnipper wrote:
Django wrote:

Okay, well I’m brand new to this so I was unsure of how to detach the horn elbow without scratching the witches hat. Maybe I can try again.
We were all new at one time, so no worries. Pictures help. The first is with the horn secured. The second is with the horn rotated into the removal position, (counter clockwise). The third is lifted off. It may take a little gentle wiggling around to free the pin from the elbow and lift the horn off. Installation is just the reverse. Please post some pictures of your Victor II and horn. I like my II very much and play it often. It's an iconic machine. Good luck.
Attachments
IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

We were all new at one time, so no worries. Pictures help. The first is with the horn secured. The second is with the horn rotated into the removal position, (counter clockwise). The third is lifted off. It may take a little gentle wiggling around to free the pin from the elbow and lift the horn off. Installation is just the reverse. Please post some pictures of your Victor II and horn. I like my II very much and play it often. It's an iconic machine. Good luck.[/quote]

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the pics. Your morning glory horn is beautiful! From what I can see in the photos it looks like what I've already tried. Whenever I get to the third step where I twist it to lift off position it get's cause on the pin and doesn't come off. I'll take some pics to try and demonstrate and also to show off the machine. :)

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

Here’s how I have the horn elbow turned, it doesn’t seem to lift off. Perhaps I haven turned it too much ?
Attachments
97A9D33D-F0AE-4B9E-854B-0C3430010ACA.jpeg

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

Here’s the base, I haven’t assembled the rest yet
Attachments
D550ABCD-6E56-4D4D-B0F1-E8F6684F9BFD.jpeg

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

Here’s the hmv decal on the witches hat, I believe it’s original.
Attachments
B6BB52FB-DE29-47E9-9544-9B4C8D37A325.jpeg

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

The witches hat seems fairly free of major dings but has a bit of green rust spattered on the brass so I’ll need to restore it a little overall it seems to be in good shape.
Attachments
39C52D0A-5CD3-4948-8BE7-401C870328B8.jpeg