Edison Home Phonograph Craigslist find!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Edison Home Phonograph Craigslist find!

Post by GoCOOGS! »

Hey y’all! It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. Been super busy with work and just life in general. Anyway, yesterday before I left my office for lunch, I started randomly browsing Craigslist. I found that someone was selling an Edison Home for $250. I jumped on it! I was the first person to inquire so he must have just posted the ad. I picked up the machine and boy, is it beautiful. It came with the original horn and several record cylinders. According to the man, his father in law used to restore these old machines and this was one that they kept. It has a Model K reproducer. I’m very excited about this find! I haven’t played a record yet but the machine runs well and strong. Any idea on what the age of it is? I’d say pre 1900.
Attachments
A63C91F6-0075-4C52-9552-99C1953DA697.png
A863FC31-019F-4BF1-926C-1CC1A5FD2E02.jpeg
C04FA95B-55EA-4D83-8245-DB75D5DB01BA.jpeg
D0CCA27E-80C2-4366-9B61-540B9980817E.jpeg
6891F125-8ECD-4AE8-B237-0632939D6C81.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Home Phonograph Craigslist find!

Post by phonogfp »

According to its serial number, this Home left the factory about March 1904.

The Cygnet is a No.11, which is not appropriate for the Home, but rather was intended for the Triumph. I'll bet at least one Triumph owner on this forum would be willing to trade with you! :)

George P.

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Congrats! It is a Model A Home with added 2/4 minute gearing. It is from about 1901. A great deal for $250--especially with the K reproducer and the horn! Check out the decal on the horn bell. It looks to be an 11 panel cygnet horn, which would have originally come with the larger Edison Triumph phonograph. They are seldom found--compared to the 10 panel horns. That's an extra bonus!! Have fun with your new machine!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA

GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Post by GoCOOGS! »

Thanks for the info y’all! What would be the original horn for this unit?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

You can play Blue Amberols on a turn-of-the-century Home, huh ? If it's been set up that way at some point, does that preclude playing 4 min wax cylinders ?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

GoCOOGS! wrote:Thanks for the info y’all! What would be the original horn for this unit?
This machine was originally sold with a 14" black & brass horn. That's only an adequate horn for sound reproduction, which is why so many original buyers added larger horns for better sound.

After late 1908, your Home was equipped with an Amberol Attachment to allow for playing both two and four minute records. The Cygnet horn equipment may have been added at the same time. How the machine came to be equipped with a No.11 Cygnet is anybody's guess, but typically the No.10 Cygnet was fitted to the Home.
Wolfe wrote:You can play Blue Amberols on a turn-of-the-century Home, huh ? If it's been set up that way at some point, does that preclude playing 4 min wax cylinders ?
Nope - both two and four minute cylinders can be played with Amberol Attachments - as long as there's a proper reproducer(s). The Model K plays both.

George P.

GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Post by GoCOOGS! »

I love being a member of this forum, I would have never known! So, according to the man who sold me this (he was probably in his late 80s early 90s) his father in law used to maintain and restore phonographs. According to the seller, it was last serviced in the early 2000s. He said he has maintained it by lubing it but he hasn’t lubed it in a few years. The machine runs smooth however. I need to get more lubricant for it.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

PM sent. Jerry B.

cleveland1996
Victor III

Post by cleveland1996 »

PM sent...

Joe

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Might not be the original Home horn but I kind of like the cygnet on there.