Edison Home Phonograph Craigslist find!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Re: Edison Home Phonograph Craigslist find!

Post by GoCOOGS! »

I’ve played a couple records and it sounds darn good, is using the larger horn detrimental to the machine?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

GoCOOGS! wrote:I’ve played a couple records and it sounds darn good, is using the larger horn detrimental to the machine?
Absolutely not... and it's an unusual horn (be sure to hang on to it) - no need for a #10 (smaller and more common) horn... What a deal... Typically a similar machine with a cygnet horn and K reproducer would bring over $1,000...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Post by GoCOOGS! »

Curt A wrote:
GoCOOGS! wrote:I’ve played a couple records and it sounds darn good, is using the larger horn detrimental to the machine?
Absolutely not... and it's an unusual horn (be sure to hang on to it) - no need for a #10 (smaller and more common) horn... What a deal... Typically a similar machine with a cygnet horn and K reproducer would bring over $1,000...

HECK YEAH!

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

That's a great buy! Congratulations.

Jim

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

From the photos, the case seems to have been refinished, and the decal possibly replaced; but it's a very good deal for the price.

As for the gearing: I suspect that the 2/4 minute attachment is somewhat later than the one on my own Home A, as I do not see the lever that moves the gears in or out. Do you move the flange by hand to change gears? Have you tried any 2 minute cylinders on it?

- Bill

GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Post by GoCOOGS! »

Lucius1958 wrote:From the photos, the case seems to have been refinished, and the decal possibly replaced; but it's a very good deal for the price.

As for the gearing: I suspect that the 2/4 minute attachment is somewhat later than the one on my own Home A, as I do not see the lever that moves the gears in or out. Do you move the flange by hand to change gears? Have you tried any 2 minute cylinders on it?

- Bill
Bill it is possible it could have been refinished because the seller informed me that his father in law used to restore phonographs. I have not tested any 2 minuet cylinders because I don’t have any at the moment. This is my first Edison home and honestly still learning how to use it.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

2 minute cylinders come generally in two types: 2 min black wax and 2 minute Indestructibles - they are not marked 2 min since there were no 4 minute cylinders at that time. The later 4 minute cylinders are Edison Blue Amberols made of celluloid, wax Amberols marked 4M and 4M Indestructibles. Your K reproducer can play either, but you have to change the stylus to the 2 or 4 minute setting... and you have to shift the gearing for 4M... or back for 2M.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Along with general tips, this article illustrates all the common types of cylinder records you're likely to find:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

George P.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

Congratulations on finding a very nice workable
and complete Edison cylinder outfit for a reasonable
price.

It is nice to see that once in a while, things
like this are still happening.
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Post by GoCOOGS! »

So I spoke to Kathy the proprietor of Vintage Sounds here in Houston. I asked her about the horn and she said as long as there a hose connected to the reproducer and there is a spring on the crane with sufficient space that the machine should be fine. I will be seeing her on Saturday and she’s going to give me a rundown on how to maintain the machine properly. This is my first Edison Home, and first Phonograph with a large horn.