Another Fine Mess: A $5 Special (Pics Added)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Another Fine Mess: A $5 Special (Pics Added)

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Yes, you read that right. Five Dollars. Five dollars worth of 1928 Brunswick Panatrope, Model P-109.

Here at the BBB (Beater Brunswick Bureau) we like to provide quality with junked record players. So today's offering is a Portable, of arm-wrenching bulk and pachydermatous proportions.

EDIT

Not selling it! Was notified by a Good Citizen of the forum that it sounded like I was trying to sell it. Well, anyone knows me well ought to know I don't often let go of phonographs.

I just wnated a crazy project. So there's the fact--I got a real mess on my hands but it should run soon. Pics to follow.
Last edited by VanEpsFan1914 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Another Fine Mess: A $5 Special

Post by gramophone-georg »

In my line of work we have a saying... "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes!" We'll see if that applies to Panatropes. :)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I love panatropes. Every one I've found sounds great. Very clean, clear sound. It'll be worth it.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

It didn't happen without pics! :)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Here you go! A couple glamour shots. The green and black covering is rather strange--looks like nothing available currently.

I have the reproducer but not in very good condition. It's suffering from pot-metal swelling and leaks air rather badly.

The lamp is one of my prized possessions: a 1922-'28 Aladdin Model 11 and no, it's never been converted to run on electricity! :D
Attachments
DSCF7003.JPG
DSCF7002.JPG
DSCF7001.JPG

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Re: Another Fine Mess: A $5 Special (Pics Added)

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Aaand...a further update of good and bad. The bad news: rust is beginning to make little pimples on the bottom of the steel motorboard. Time to break out the oil can and scrub.

More bad news: I accidentally let the thing fall over as butterfingers me didn't keep it propped up when I was checking the motor.

The good news: Guess what fell out of the horn? The original gooseneck! So if I change the carrying handle, restore the reproducer, and oil up that motor, this Humpty Dumpty will be together again.
Attachments
Q. Which tonearm fits a 1928 P-109?<br /><br />A. The original, of course!
Q. Which tonearm fits a 1928 P-109?

A. The original, of course!

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I have an Aladdin #6 lamp with that exact same shade. I've used it nightly for over 20 years.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

gramophone-georg wrote:In my line of work we have a saying... "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes!" We'll see if that applies to Panatropes. :)

Georg - so true. It took me three of them to learn that lesson ! (Mercedes, that is.) :roll:
De Soto Frank

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Well the cheap Panatrope is proving an interesting project. I got it to play this morning and it sounds rather nice, but the buzzing and blasting on certain notes meant the soundbox had to come apart. Out came the spanner and the PB B'Laster. I'll need a little Crazy Glue to fix the broken ring in back, and some JB Weld to build up missing bits but it should turn out a nice and functional reproducer.

The motor is buzzing a bit and looks to have run dry. I should clean it in kerosene and give it a good servicing--these old 1929 models are incredibly well made.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It's me again, after a bit of tinkering and finally getting to hear that sweet, sweet sound Panatropes are known for!

I split a length of Exhibition white tubing in half and put it in behind the original paper gasket. Then, mounting the original back plate with rubber bands and some caulk, I tested it on "Sometimes I'm Happy" recorded by Nat Shilkret. Very nice sound. Tried with a 1913 Conway's Band record. Good sound as well. 1942 Count Basie blues record also came over loud and clear, better than my 1930 Victrola 2-65 (Ortho equipped) can produce! The metal horn has a lot to do with it. Caulk is not cool, I know, but this reproducer is cracking in too many places. I sealed the cracks with Crazy Glue.

Just because the reproducer is beyond restoring doesn't make it beyond repair. I caulked the backplate in and am letting it dry, held by rubber bands. If it dries right I should have the best-sounding phonograph in my humble collection, and if it doesn't I'm going to hunt down a reproducer in original condition.

Either way the phonograph is running nicely but power is weak. I should probably use more grease when I do mainsprings.