Question about Donley's Auction Prices from March 17

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonojim
Victor IV

Re: Question about Donley's Auction Prices from March 17

Post by phonojim »

Are they showing hammer prices or with premium added? What was their onsite premium?

Thanks,
Jim

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Some of those selling prices are indeed depressing as Curt mentioned. Great for those who purchased many of these items though. A decent working Columbia type N for $400 needing reproducer work? Another Columbia type N for $950 working with decent gutta percha reproducer -and- Chicago Talking Machine decal? Oh boy... :( Berliner records (playable and not cracked) selling for $15? Seriously? Collectors living in the Midwest are fortunate with opportunities to travel a reasonable distance, attend on site and buy at Donleys and Stantons. I wanted to participate in the auction but was greatly concerned about receiving winnings through shipping.

Doug

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

phonojim wrote:Are they showing hammer prices or with premium added? What was their onsite premium?

Thanks,
Jim
Quote from Donley's, " The will be an 18% buyers premium added to the successful bid price of those in attendence. A 3% discount will be applied for cash payments. A buyers premium of 23% will be added to all internet bids. They show the hammer price on the site.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Post by Hit of the Week »

Django wrote:
Curt A wrote:Here's a link to the catalog with sold prices... https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=139291

Overall, kind of depressing in my opinion... Why search all over eBay and Craigslist for deals, when you can just wait for the next Donley auction where someone has already located the stuff and put it in one place... :?
It has all changed since the internet. I restored an Indian Scout nearly 40 years ago. Finding parts and sources required networking, swap meets, trading and lots of hard work along with some luck. Now, it just takes a computer and an internet connection, (and of course money and some skill). I believe the same to be true with this hobby. I used to love searching the old antique shops and flea markets. Now, most of the searching is done online. It has gotten much easier, but part of the fun is no longer there. If I relied on antique shops and flea markets I would not have much, but maybe that wouldn't be so bad. Maybe it has gotten a little too easy.
Agree with you totally, Django!

Iowa Dale