Another Edison amberola saved.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Chilesave
Victor II

Another Edison amberola saved.

Post by Chilesave »

Found this amberola on craigslist. Enjoyed getting it back in playing condition!
Attachments
2D01AEF7-C0C4-4BEC-838B-9AC648A10537.jpeg
8D950882-A476-4517-B34A-CECE4D9E7453.png

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Another Edison amberola saved.

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

It was good to see the results of your efforts.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Great job Chilesave...Bill K

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Looks fantastic, nice save!

As neglected as it is in the before picture--isn't that the best way to find them? Fun to get them back in order and knowing that things can only improve!

Chilesave
Victor II

Post by Chilesave »

Thanks.

I really enjoyed restoring the amberola 30; but, it really is not a cost effective thing to do. I just loved the project.

This one I bought for $60 and was very lucky the reproducer was good. The lid support was broken; so, someone let the lid fall back and broke the rear rail. The lid was not present when I bought the machine.

Then, it was so covered in dust and dirt; that was the reason it would not run. So, someone had overwound it to the point of stripping out the winding shaft!

So, I had to buy the winding shaft for $11.00, a lid for $73, hinges for $10, gear cover for $53, front grill for $43, and top grill for $28. I had to repair the back rail and re-veneer both sides.

So I ended up with a total of $267 in the machine when all was said and done. I got the parts from ebay and, of course, shipping ate me up. I doubt I could even get me money back out of it.

Not a complete loss though, given the satisfaction of saving a machine and the fun I had bringing it back. I think in reality it just isn't realistic to try to save them due to the cost. The wallet hurts, but still happy to have saved a piece of history.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Yes, you saved a piece of history! It was a worthwhile effort.