Yet Another Highly Polished Type B(XP) Eagle?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Crank_it_up
Victor III

Yet Another Highly Polished Type B(XP) Eagle?

Post by Crank_it_up »

OK, OK, you might want to consider this a bit of a fantasy machine so don't go crying foul on my poor little Eagle. I recently picked up this Columbia Type B and it is a curious machine for sure. First off it started life as a case-less model with the serial number 127090 stamped in the belt cover. Then at some point it was entirely taken apart and all parts, including the gears, were plated and highly polished in nickle. Also an oak base and lid were added without a data plate of course. That is all I know about it. Yes, the serial number is certainly out of the range of known examples of highly polished B's but why would someone do this and when was it done? The plating is certainly not recent, it has the right color of old aged nickle. When placed side by side with my other Highly Polished Eagle you would think it was just as old. I would like to think I'm dealing with a factory Prototype, after all doesn't everyone want to think they have a prototype if what you have just is just a little outside of the known rules, but I likely just have an everyday Eagle that someone really treasured. Now for the "fantasy" part I added one of Aaron Cramer's reproduction fancy bases. I had an extra 14" horn with a hanger that I had nickled and added a little table crane and here is my newest addition....
thanks for looking. Joe
Attachments
IMG_1388.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG
IMG_1391.JPG

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: Yet Another Highly Polished Type B(XP) Eagle?

Post by NEFaurora »

I like it!

:o)

Tony K.

Edison/Collector Restorer

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

It even has the polished governor weights like the real thing. Do the weights match your BXP? I will not speculate regarding the authenticity. It looks great either way.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Django wrote:It even has the polished governor weights like the real thing. Do the weights match your BXP? I will not speculate regarding the authenticity. It looks great either way.
I just mic'd the weights and they are exactly the same diameter. Beats me!
Joe

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

If you have a gram scale you could compare weight. Same size and weight means same material.

GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Post by GoCOOGS! »

I like it, it was tastefully done. I wonder if it is a period rebuild or something recently done.

Fonotone
Victor II

Post by Fonotone »

I love it, Joe!

--Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Post by Shawn »

A little less of a fantasy when you see an original page from a Talking Machine Company of Chicago catalog.

Great piece, Joe.
TTMCOC 23.jpg
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Shawn wrote:A little less of a fantasy when you see an original page from a Talking Machine Company of Chicago catalog.

Great piece, Joe.
TTMCOC 23.jpg

Do you know the date of that publication? It would be interesting to compare that with the serial number of the machine.