Edison Phonograph advice please

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
poodling around
Victor V

Edison Phonograph advice please

Post by poodling around »

I hope that I have posted this in the correct forum.

My question is very 'basic' I am afraid.

I am thinking about buying either an Edison Gem or Edison Standard Phonograph and am looking around and have learnt a bit about them.

I do not understand how they actually play a cylinder though. Do they have a replaceable needle in the reproducer for example like a 78 gramophone has or is it something else ? I can't imagine what else to be honest but I have no idea.

If the Edisons use needles do they need replacing and if so where do you buy them from ?

Thank you for any help / guidance you can give.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Phonograph advice please

Post by phonogfp »

Edison cylinder Phonographs such as the Gem and Standard use permanent sapphire styli that do not need replacement with each record. This was a big selling point at the time over disc-playing talking machines.

This article will show you a number of Edison and Columbia cylinder-type reproducers, and there's a photo of the underside of an Edison Model K reproducer (which contains two styli - one for 2-minute and one for 4-minute records):

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

If you're interested in playing cylinder records with your future Edison, I'd recommend a Standard over a Gem.

Good luck!

George P.

poodling around
Victor V

phonogfp wrote:Edison cylinder Phonographs such as the Gem and Standard use permanent sapphire styli that do not need replacement with each record. This was a big selling point at the time over disc-playing talking machines.

This article will show you a number of Edison and Columbia cylinder-type reproducers, and there's a photo of the underside of an Edison Model K reproducer (which contains two styli - one for 2-minute and one for 4-minute records):

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

If you're interested in playing cylinder records with your future Edison, I'd recommend a Standard over a Gem.

Good luck!

George P.
Brilliant ! Thank you very much for your advice and information.

I will read the link page now and look out for a standard model.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

If this is your first machine I would suggest you buy a machine that plays both 2 minute and 4 minute cylinders. This way you can play all the cylinders you buy on one machine. As mentioned it will require the correct reproducer / reproducers. Common reproducers are B and C both 2 minute, an H that’s 4 minute, and K that’s both 2&4 minute. Good luck with your endeavor.

Rich Gordon

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

If properly cared for, Edison styli can be good for many thousands of plays.

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

I agree with Rich Gordon. For your fist cylinder machine I would recommend something with factory combination gearing and both a model c and h reproducer. That way you can play both two and four minute wax or celluloid cylinders on your machine. I prefer the machines with the factory combination gearing over machines that have had it added with perhaps the except of the home and triumph machines as the attachments with combination gearing on the standards tend to be a little noisy and they can be finicky to get to work properly. Also, as they are an add on they can come loose. In my opinion the ideal starter machine would either be an Edison standard model D or a fireside model A. Both machines came from the factory with 2 and 4 minute gearing and are very reliable and compact machines and are perfect for someone who is just getting started in cylinders. They're also pretty easy to find and are fairly cheap.

Stephen

poodling around
Victor V

rgordon939 wrote:If this is your first machine I would suggest you buy a machine that plays both 2 minute and 4 minute cylinders. This way you can play all the cylinders you buy on one machine. As mentioned it will require the correct reproducer / reproducers. Common reproducers are B and C both 2 minute, an H that’s 4 minute, and K that’s both 2&4 minute. Good luck with your endeavor.

Rich Gordon

Thank you for the good advice Rich.

poodling around
Victor V

JerryVan wrote:If properly cared for, Edison styli can be good for many thousands of plays.

Thank you for the information.

poodling around
Victor V

Stephen_Heatherly wrote:I agree with Rich Gordon. For your fist cylinder machine I would recommend something with factory combination gearing and both a model c and h reproducer. That way you can play both two and four minute wax or celluloid cylinders on your machine. I prefer the machines with the factory combination gearing over machines that have had it added with perhaps the except of the home and triumph machines as the attachments with combination gearing on the standards tend to be a little noisy and they can be finicky to get to work properly. Also, as they are an add on they can come loose. In my opinion the ideal starter machine would either be an Edison standard model D or a fireside model A. Both machines came from the factory with 2 and 4 minute gearing and are very reliable and compact machines and are perfect for someone who is just getting started in cylinders. They're also pretty easy to find and are fairly cheap.

Stephen
Very good Thank you Stephen.

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

poodling around wrote:
Stephen_Heatherly wrote:I agree with Rich Gordon. For your fist cylinder machine I would recommend something with factory combination gearing and both a model c and h reproducer. That way you can play both two and four minute wax or celluloid cylinders on your machine. I prefer the machines with the factory combination gearing over machines that have had it added with perhaps the except of the home and triumph machines as the attachments with combination gearing on the standards tend to be a little noisy and they can be finicky to get to work properly. Also, as they are an add on they can come loose. In my opinion the ideal starter machine would either be an Edison standard model D or a fireside model A. Both machines came from the factory with 2 and 4 minute gearing and are very reliable and compact machines and are perfect for someone who is just getting started in cylinders. They're also pretty easy to find and are fairly cheap.

Stephen
Very good Thank you Stephen.
I second the choice of a Model "D" or if you are lucky enough to find a Model "F" with the S Reproducer which plays 2/4 min. at a more pleasant sound.