Need help with a 1917 VV-VI sans sound-box I just bought

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
burke
Victor I

Need help with a 1917 VV-VI sans sound-box I just bought

Post by burke »

Hi folks,

I saw this on the local kijiji [that's the Canadian version of craigslist] for $100. I knew nothing about it but fortunately the seller had taken a nice clear pic of the plate so I was able to look it up on the Victor site.

I have a spare No. 2 and thought maybe...? But when I asked what soundbox was appropriate on the CAPS Facebook website I was told it needed an exhibition.

I more or less decided nope but wrote to the guy anyway and told him his machine needed an exhibition and what they cost etc.

The SOB dropped the price to $50! ... and I bought it.

I have no clue how an exhibition attaches to the arm however ... I look at an exhibition by itself ... and I look at the end of the arm and I draw a blank ... I look at one on an arm and still blank.

Am I literally missing something on the end of this machine's arm or is it ready to have a soundbox attached as is?

There are a couple of rebuilt exibitions on ebay right now that seem reasonable, but I want to make sure I'm good to go if I buy one.

Also I see no closing mechanism for the doors, but there is a small chunk missing from one slates in the horn ... was there a magnet or some such thing there once upon a time?

Please educate me once again . thanks

Darrell
HPIM1604.JPG
HPIM1605.JPG
HPIM1608.JPG
HPIM1608.JPG (198.05 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
HPIM1607.JPG
HPIM1607.JPG (122.74 KiB) Viewed 1638 times

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Need help with a 1917 VV-VI sans sound-box I just bought

Post by Jerry B. »

If you have a Victrola 2 sound box that would be a logical upgrade for your VB-VI Jerry Blais

Pete Stratford
Victor II

Post by Pete Stratford »

Hello,
There is a round piece on the very end of the tone arm that doesn't belong there. Remove it and your # 2 Reproducer will fit right on.

Pete

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Jerry B. wrote:If you have a Victrola 2 sound box that would be a logical upgrade for your VB-VI Jerry Blais
I do ... or will when I finish rebuilding a No. 4 I'm working on but I must confess I'm still buffaloed by how one would attach the reproducer.

My VV-80, my consolette both have the L shaped slot that the little nob in the isolator slots into - there is no slot in the VV-VI.
HPIM1609.JPG
HPIM1609.JPG (120.57 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
HPIM1607.JPG
HPIM1607.JPG (122.74 KiB) Viewed 1621 times

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Pete Stratford wrote:Hello,
There is a round piece on the very end of the tone arm that doesn't belong there. Remove it and your # 2 Reproducer will fit right on.

Pete
Aha! Thanks Pete!

I wrote my reply to Jerry while you were sending yours.

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

So I galloped right out to the garage and pulled 'it' off.

The only remaining mystery is "What is it?"

It has a pin and fits perfectly ... obviously meant to fit.

An adapter of some sort?

Anyone need one of these ... I obviously don't. I'll send it as thanks for the advice.
HPIM1610.JPG

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Hi, this is from the back of an exhibition reproducer..... You should call back the seller as he might still have the exhibition reproducer somewhere!

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That metal piece with the four flat bits sticking out of it is actually the back flange from an exhibition reproducer. Rubber was molded around that originally, which obviously hardened and fell off, leaving just this metal ring and the reproducer probably got lost. That ring might be reusable to mold new rubber around, but it's not really worth it when reproductions abound. Still, the reproductions are often so hard, if someone who knows a little about silicone or rubber molding, it's a worthy project.

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

phonodesbois wrote:Hi, this is from the back of an exhibition reproducer..... You should call back the seller as he might still have the exhibition reproducer somewhere!
Another mystery solved!

We chatted quite a while when we met ... I'm pretty certain he doesn't ... but no matter - I have my trusty [soon to be redundant in any event] No. 2 !

Still wondering about if there was a mechanism to keep the doors closed however ... google image VV-VI's and see if I can find one with the doors open.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Ron Sitko uses these to cast new rubber flanges. His contact information is in the "Links" section.
Give him a call and see if he wants it.