Greythorne needle sharpener instructions?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Greythorne needle sharpener instructions?

Post by 52089 »

I just purchased this on ebay. The pic shows exactly what I got. I assume I'll have to make my own abrasive discs, which is not a big deal.

Does anyone have a copy of the instruction sheet for this they could post?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
sharp.jpg

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Greythorne needle sharpener instructions?

Post by estott »

The abrasive is applied to cardboard rings about ¼ inch thick, they fit on the other side of the holder on the left. There should be a MUCH larger wheel on the sharpener,perhaps you can fit the rubber tyre from a sewing machine winder. In any case, to use put the needle into the collet and tighten.Put the peg on the bottom of the sharpener into the hole on the other side of the platform letting the needle rest on one side of the abrasive ring and the rubber tyre on the other. Grasp the red handle and turn.

This picture will help:
Attachments
kacti.jpg
kacti.jpg (19.44 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Actually, the little rubber wheel is correct. These were designed for Throne needles.
Attachments
20180323_102005.jpg
20180323_101904.jpg
20180323_101931.jpg

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Ahhh! Fascinating. I have a pack of Greythornes & they don't fit the standard Kacti sharpener because they are thinner and have a longer taper. I've tried them and decided they were best used in early electric pickups.

Cactus needle sharpeners are not too hard to find- in the US the same sharpener was used by three firms (at least): Ksacti/Peter grey , Decca and "Red Top"- a firm in Boston. Peter Grey was the biggest promoter and was sued in court for claiming his needles could restore worn records.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

OK, it shouldn't be too difficult to make a ¼" ring and glue some sandpaper on it, thanks.

Am I understanding then that this sharpener is only suitable for thorn needles, and that a different (albeit similar) sharpener would be needed for cactus needles?

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Cactus needle sharpeners are similar. You might want to consider going to bamboo needles. They can be sharpened many more times than thorn or cactus. Here are a few examples of the sharpeners.
Attachments
IMG_3114.JPG
IMG_3114.JPG (95.04 KiB) Viewed 1011 times

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

I've never seen a sharpener for the Greythorne needles. Very cool. These needles were for the crystal cartridges that superseded the horseshoe magnet type. The tracking weight was lighter but they still employed a thumbscrew for needle changing.

I have a question for those among us with electronics knowledge: As I remember, in the Greythorne instruction sheets the user is cautioned that turning up the volume too high will reduce the life of the point! Any truth in that?

-bill