Standard Model A Motor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dutchman
Victor IV

Standard Model A Motor

Post by dutchman »

I recently received this motor back from a vendor, the spring was replaced along with the gov weight springs, as well as the brass gear on the spindle shaft. I wound the motor and the machine played through one record. Then I tried to play another and the machine locked up. removed the motor to take a look at which time the gov shaft fell out and we all know what happens then :shock: :shock: The spring went south. After wiping the grease off my face I replaced the gov and now there is a gap between the spindle gear and the worm gear on the gov shaft. There is no way, that I can see, to adjust the gap between these two gears other than back and forth.

I can't believe this thing self-destructed after one record - any suggestions? The gap between the worm gear and the spindle shaft is undoubtedly the prob but which gear?
    this machine is getting expensive. I hope this is not another one of those there are none of these gears left on earth situations... Have a good weekend....

Bill K
    Attachments
    DSCN1300.JPG
    DSCN1300.JPG (126.44 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
    DSCN1302.JPG
    DSCN1302.JPG (122.82 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
    Last edited by dutchman on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victor VI

Re: Stasndard Model A Motor

Post by 52089 »

I'd suggest you call whoever did the work. It sounds like they forgot to tighten a governor bearing, or perhaps it came loose in shipping. I'm sure whoever fixed this for you will be more than happy to help you figure this out.

Phonofreak
    Victor VI

Re: Standard Model A Motor

Post by Phonofreak »

This could be the fiber gear. Original ones deteriorate and break real easy. Check the teeth real carefully. If they are chewed or worn, that is your problem. It will have to be replaced. Ron Sitko sells these gears. Who is this repairman? Is he reputable? If he is, then he should stand behind his work. If not, post his name, so he can be avoided. If you do have to replace the gear, there is a certain way, and I will tell you how top install it.
    Harvey Kravitz

startgroove
    Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Bill,
    I checked my Standard A and find that there is a method to adjust the engagement of the worm and fibre gears. The two screws that hold the end of the governor shaft are installed through extra large holes, allowing some movability in all directions. The fibre gear on the turntable shaft is not adjustable with respect to the worm gear. However, I don't know if your motor is the same version as mine.

That gear is made from paper fibres, similar to that of fish paper. It is normally very stable, however, is much softer than the metal worm gear on the governor shaft, so it is quite common for them to wear out. (One of the reasons for using that soft material to begin with is to keep the gear noise low.)

In your case, I would speculate that the teeth were worn thin, and with enough tension on them due to the spring being wound up, the tops of the teeth were sheered off.

Dave D
    Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I note grease on the fiber gear. These are not supposed to be greased.
    Dave D

dutchman
    Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Thanks for the info. I discovered the problem I am having is the spindle shaft is moving up and down enough that the fiber gear on the spindle shaft will either be too high or low in relation to that worm gear on the gov. I had the machine playing last night and then I took the platter off which disturbed the position of the spindle/worm gear relationship and the spring let loose and so now the spring flops a round. The spindle has some sort of spacer (looks like a large rivet). So with the spring flopping around I'm dead in the water. I going to call the vendor this evening and see what he wants to go. As I mentioned to someone yesterday fiddling with this motor is like fiddling with a land mine as far as the gov and spring goes. thanks for the info. Bill K