Portable phonograph/victrola in your antique car

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
emerson
Victor III

Portable phonograph/victrola in your antique car

Post by emerson »

I see quite a number of phonograph collectors with antique cars---How many take a portable phonograph with them to shows and what records do you play, also how many have the Nipper radiator cap?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Portable phonograph/victrola in your antique car

Post by epigramophone »

I always take one of my portables to classic car shows, with a selection of duplicate/expendable jazz and dance band records. The gramophone often attracts as much attention from the public as the car. Unfortunately, at some events the public address system blasts out loud and inappropriate music most of the time, drowning out my efforts at acoustic reproduction.
Attachments
Thornfalcon 2012 005.JPG

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Besides adding a festive and definitely an era feeling atmosphere----a portable crank phonograph at an antique car show might bring a new group into the hobby (multi-crankers). Down side, is there might be too many phonographs playing different 78 rpm records and creating a battle of the "bands"----just hope no one in a zoot suit and with a "Tommy Gun" is there. ---Ha Ha

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The zoot suiters (Glorified diapers, Fulton Sheen called them, referring to their lack of interest in fighting WWII) are a few years too late for that! Getting mowed down with a tommy gun ain't fun, but it gets worse when it's historically inauthentic! :ugeek: :lol:

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Great: now I have to get a Model A to go with my P-1.... :lol:

Bill

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I've actually met a few fellow phonograph collectors by bringing a portable to Old Car Festival (and Motor Muster) at Greenfield Village. You never know who is walking around!

The real question is: should you have a phonograph to match every car, or a car to match every phonograph? 8-)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

When I wanted a machine to match my Armstrong Siddeley, I made one.

I hasten to add that the HMV 102 had already lost it's original lid transfer panel. I made the replacement from plywood and covered it in matching blue leathercloth.
Attachments
AS 102 001.JPG
AS 102 002.JPG

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

HisMastersVoice wrote:I've actually met a few fellow phonograph collectors by bringing a portable to Old Car Festival (and Motor Muster) at Greenfield Village. You never know who is walking around!

The real question is: should you have a phonograph to match every car, or a car to match every phonograph? 8-)

Brandon, was it me? Huh? Was it, was it????

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Marty Bufalini wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:I've actually met a few fellow phonograph collectors by bringing a portable to Old Car Festival (and Motor Muster) at Greenfield Village. You never know who is walking around!

Brandon, was it me? Huh? Was it, was it????
One of them, yes!

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

I almost always bring a circa-1928 Victor portable with a few circa-1928 dance records along with one of my 1928 Dodge Brothers cars. Also a picnic basket with dishes, containers, napkins, etc, also 1928 Vintage.