New Vic 3--Questions & Urgent shipping recommendations

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

New Vic 3--Questions & Urgent shipping recommendations

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Gentlemen: (Ladies too)

I am out of $328 for the best of all possible reasons--just bought my first VICTOR III! :D And it's a beauty too--don't know why it was sold with a carrying case but that's kind of cool.

Apologies to all TMF'ers whom I outbid on ShopGoodwill.

The questions are:

1. Is a carrying case a "thing" with the Victor III?
2. Is it easy to find a horn?
3. How in the name of Emile Berliner do I arrange third-party shipping?? It's in Denver and I'm in South Carolina so there's a couple gazillion miles there but if anyone knows a shipper I can start that. Otherwise, is there a phonograph Underground Railroad?

I don't know jack about a Victor Talking Machine but if anyone can chime in, let me know! i'm rather excited now; the Victor III is a longtime favorite machine of mine but I could never afford one. Leave it to Goodwill to provide a honey of a machine for less.
Attachments
Carrying case.JPG
Carrying case.JPG (44.46 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Serial.JPG
Serial.JPG (85.12 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Victrola 3.jpg
Victrola 3.jpg (8.07 KiB) Viewed 1088 times

Victor VI

Re: New Vic 3--Questions & Urgent shipping recommendations

Post by 52089 »

Yes, there is a "phono underground railroad" of sorts. Most of us lug machines to and from the various shows and auctions that happen through the year. Jerry Blais actually rents a trailer to do this for Union.

If you don't want to wait, try uship.com. It's a network of independent movers and shippers who compete for your business.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thanks a lot! The folks at Goodwill might get hacked off if I waited though, so Uship ought to be my best bet.

Can't wait to start restoring it. I've only seen ONE Victor III before and...it wasn't as nice as this one.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I am stopping in Denver on my way to Union (early June). A friend's brother is holding a Victor V for me. I see you are in South Carolina and Texas. There are collectors from Texas that go to Union. Is there anyone from South Carolina going to Union. This might work.

Jerry Blais
Albany, Oregon

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Hi Vanepps (this is why you should sign your posts)
Get the address of the Goodwill location where the machine is and then find the address of the closest UPS store. Ask Goodwill (I presume that would provide the goodwill of dropping this off for you) to please drop it off.Our offer them $10 contribution to do so if they wont do it.

Once Goodwill places it back in the Carrycase (waay cool) UPS can safely pack it and ship it to you.

Make sure you set it up in advance with UPS to pay for packing and shipping with a Credit Card.

That is what I have done in the past with other purchases I have made. John
Horns rolled and straightened

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Ripduf1,

Thanks a lot! That's an idea I didn't think of. goodwill says they don't do third-party ANYTHING, refusing to sully their lily hands with anyone's lowly thrift store junk. But a little extra $$$ goes a long way I hope.

This ought to be a great project and that carrying case is awesome! I think that's why it's in really good condition.

VanEpsFan1914

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I definitely would not have the machine shipped inside the carrying case. Unless the packer properly stuffs all the empty space with bubble wrap, balled newspapers, etc., the machine will rattle around inside that case doing damage.

George P.

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

I only recommend it because my machine doesn’t move at all . It’s a tight package and ditto for the horn carry case I have. I still want them to be boxed properly because you don’t want the case to be wrecked. After all it is a Carey case. But that’s just me. John
Horns rolled and straightened

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That makes sense, but I'm thinking about an AH I have with a carrying case. There's about ⅜" play, and I'm just imagining the package being thrown onto a truck and the weight of the machine slamming into the wall of the carrying case.

Of course, if the interior of the case is filled with cushioning material, it could be made to work safely. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like an experienced phonograph packer is available to do it, so that's why I'm doubtful.

George P.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hey guys,

The Victor III is on its long journey from Denver, via Ohio, NYC, and a long circuitous route. Fortunately, safe in its box, it's riding in the back seat of the truck!

Yes, some trucker offered to tote it along. It'll cost me but look. It's already cool to buy a Victor III in the original box. How cool is it to have said original box still useful as packing material 110 years later? Now that's green packaging.

Should arrive soon and I can get cracking on restoring it. It looks like this will be my last phonograph for a long time, possibly forever, so I'll make it a good one.