Any Love for Brunswick?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Any Love for Brunswick?

Post by Django »

In my short time as a part of this community I have not seen much about Brunswick. I know that in the day they were a major player and it seems that many survived. I had a couple nice Brunswick machines about 40 years ago, but back then they came and went to subsidize my income. I liked that they had very quiet and smooth running motors and I liked the elliptical, wooden horns.

Many are quite plain, but some can be quite nice. I don't know if they would have been more popular if they had a cute logo or not, (I think that Nipper has a great appeal). They also lack the face of an old inventor and the pretty lady wrapped in the flag, but it seems that they were an excellent and versatile machine.

Anyway, I picked this Brunswick 122 up yesterday. Aside from one little diamond shaped piece missing the top layer near the center of the grill, the machine is in wonderful original condition. I don't know if I overpaid or not, but I don't really care about resale and it was less than I see most fair condition Victrola VV-XI machined sell for. It plays Diamond Discs very well, plays lateral cut 78 records and even has volume control. The tone is good and the motor is strong. Plenty of record storage and lots of ornate carving and style. I think that it is from the early to mid 1920s. I just wanted to see what people think of these machines, (I hope to see some pictures too). I also wanted to show it off too. Personally, I think that they were fairly advanced and well thought out.
Attachments
122-3.jpg
122-4.jpg
122-1.jpg
122-5.jpg
Last edited by Django on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Any Love for Brunswick?

Post by gramophone-georg »

I think they actually play DDs better than most DD machines.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I like Brunswick Phonographs too. It looks like a great machine.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I like these Brunswick machines also. It was a versatile machine that can play all three types of records. With the large diaphragm reproducer, they play loud and clear. The only drawback with these machines is pot metal parts.Your machine is in excellent condition. The index and duster is a nice touch. Great find.
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That's a great machine... Most Brunswicks that I have seen are not in that kind of condition. I would have jumped on it too...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I've a fan of Brunswick for the same reasons you mentioned - especially the superb motors. The cabinetry is top-notch too.

There's a 225-page (I think) book on Brunswick by R.J. Wakeman posted on the APS web site for members. That book, along with the works posted on Cheney and Sonora (Aeolian-Vocalion has been received and will be posted shortly) demonstrate that these major brands - while not giants like Victor, Columbia, and Edison - were nevertheless quality competitors whose products were innovative and gave good value.

George P.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I really like some of the Brunswick machines... and some of the off- brands as well. But- and I know this makes me an infidel but what the hell... I've become content with just a few machines. I'm trying to sell off my last two cylinder player and that will leave me with my Vic V and my G&T No. 3. I have an Automatic Panatrope in the shop and a RCA Duo automatic "record thrower" on the way from the East Coast as soon as they are done having NorEasters, snow, and cold temps. Not sure if those count.

I'm more of a record collector anyways, but the machines are damn fun. I actually enjoy repairing them and servicing them more than collecting them.

I have to say that this Brunswick is in above average condition. I really like the black cabinet with the gold tone hardware (unless my eyes and monitor are deceiving me). It almost looks like an "Oriental" model without the paintings.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Brunswick built some fine machines and like you said they seem to mot bin the spot light as much as the big three. People want the big three and ignore the great value that these phonographs are. Yu have a nice phonograph. I have a portable Brunswick and it plays very well. Tom

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

gramophone-georg wrote: I have to say that this Brunswick is in above average condition. I really like the black cabinet with the gold tone hardware (unless my eyes and monitor are deceiving me). It almost looks like an "Oriental" model without the paintings.
The finish is nearly black with very little grain visible. I think it may be an ebonized finish and is in excellent condition. Thanks to all for the positive comments. I haven’t found much on this particular model. I had looked through the Phonograph Society literature and found it very informative. I shouldn’t complain if I am attracted to the less desirable because they are obtainable and I am very happy with this purchase.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I would like to own a Brunswick model 135, but they never seem to come up around Chicago. Yours is quite a beauty.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."