Edison BC34 needs?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bwebbink
Victor Jr

Edison BC34 needs?

Post by bwebbink »

Hi - I just inherited an Edison BC34. It was skipping/jumping on the discs badly until I cleaned off the stylus. There was a large hunk of crusted on debris on the leading edge of the stylus, and after cleaning, the skipping and jumping stopped. This is pretty representative of the playback quality I'm getting now - does anyone hear/see anything that would need to be addressed on this?

Thanks!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6DzKv5m8Uw[/youtube]

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Edison BC34 needs?

Post by JerryVan »

I haven't played you video, (I'm at work), but I'll suggest that you be sure that the pivot, at the tail end of the reproducer, moves freely to allow the lower, weighted portion of the reproducer to move unrestricted from side-to-side. Put a small drop of oil on that that pivot pin.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (11.11 KiB) Viewed 1546 times

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

I'm listening to your video and it sounds really good-sounds to me...like you are up and running. Ypu might want to do a basic lube of your machine if you have not done that yet.

Glad to see and hear your unit run.
Abe

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Sound is good: replacing the gaskets in the reproducer can't hurt, though.

Did you wind the motor up fully before playing? If so, you might consider cleaning and regreasing the mainspring, as well as the rest of the motor. Make sure the oiling tubes are clear as well.

Bill

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Yes! Very nice machine there. Like the other forum members suggested, make sure that you oil and lubricate the motor. These Edison’ Disc Machines are built like a battleship and will last a lifetime.

bwebbink
Victor Jr

Post by bwebbink »

JerryVan wrote:I haven't played you video, (I'm at work), but I'll suggest that you be sure that the pivot, at the tail end of the reproducer, moves freely to allow the lower, weighted portion of the reproducer to move unrestricted from side-to-side. Put a small drop of oil on that that pivot pin.
Done! Thanks for the suggestion - it was a bit stiff. I found a disc or two that skipped still, but that seems to have remedied it - the grooves clearly weren't concentric with the center hole in the disc on those, so the lube probably helped a great deal.

bwebbink
Victor Jr

Post by bwebbink »

Lucius1958 wrote:Sound is good: replacing the gaskets in the reproducer can't hurt, though.

Did you wind the motor up fully before playing? If so, you might consider cleaning and regreasing the mainspring, as well as the rest of the motor. Make sure the oiling tubes are clear as well.

Bill
I didn't wind it up fully - you can really hear it slow down mid-tune. Probably do need to clean and regrease everything - I'd wager it has been at least 30 years since that was done.

bwebbink
Victor Jr

Post by bwebbink »

Victrolacollector wrote:Yes! Very nice machine there. Like the other forum members suggested, make sure that you oil and lubricate the motor. These Edison’ Disc Machines are built like a battleship and will last a lifetime.
Or many lifetimes, considering this has been in the family for 4 generations now... :)

bwebbink
Victor Jr

Post by bwebbink »

Lucius1958 wrote:Sound is good: replacing the gaskets in the reproducer can't hurt, though.

Bill
Do you have a recommended source for gaskets? Thanks in advance!

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Try contacting Ron Sitko for the parts you need. His contact information is in the Links Section of the forum.