Anyone hear or know of Sonata Upright Phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: Anyone hear or know of Sonata Upright Phonographs

Post by bbphonoguy »

The finish on the cabinet appears to be mahogany, which was a popular finish for phonographs in the 1920's. The turntable looks like it's been recovered with the covering from a later record player from the 60's or 70's. Most turntables of the period were covered in felt or velvet. That would be an easy fix though.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Apparently, the Sonata was manufactured by a company called Kesner and Jerlaw, located at 41 West 34th Street, New York City. The Sonata's first advertisement in "Talking Machine World" appeared in February of 1920.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Welcome Mark,

If you think you could get hooked, you already are.

Winding: Wind it until it starts to get very hard, or won't go any further. You will be able to tell as the resistance gets much greater very quickly. I usually wind until I feel the resistance quickly ramp up. No need to go any further. If you have to force it, you are using too much pressure.

The resistance you are describing every few cranks is probably lubrication or something. I would not worry about it for now. Once you learn more and start to get more comfortable working on it, you can tackle that one.

By the way, it looks like a nice little machine. Get the Compleat Talking Machine and read the articles on the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions. Before you know it you will be answering questions for others.

Post a video of it playing one of your favorite tunes.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Mark
Victor Jr

Post by Mark »

I would post a video of it playing but I do not have a video camera. I will have to borrow one from someone in order to that.

Thinking about that is pretty funny to me. We live in the 21st century and all this technology surrounding us and don't have a video camera but I do have a wind up phonograph from the early 1900's.

My wife and I just love it, we have been playing at least 1 or 2 records a day just to hear it play. The sound just takes you back to the early 1900's, when life was much simpler. Even though my wife and are in our 40's, you can't help thinking of old time silent movies and the music playing in the background. Pretty much sounds the same and that is what I picture in my mind when playing this phonograph.

I will have to look into that book, it has been recommended many times now, so it must be good.

Thanks,
Mark