Mystery Deepens-- Gutta Percha Stylus bar.. Help!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
outune
Victor IV

Mystery Deepens-- Gutta Percha Stylus bar.. Help!

Post by outune »

A friend asked for help with a few reproducers. One is this Columbia Gutta Percha. Could one of you wise folks send a pic of the needle bar/diaphragm attachment?? As you can see, the bar has a horizontal slot in the end-- It's different from the aluminum ones (also pictured) that have a "bell" shaped connector which is pinned through a small hole in the bar. Before I charge ahead, I want to make sure I'm on the right track. Did the GP also use a 'bell' type connector to attach to diaphragm?
Is anyone making those? A close up pic of a complete reproducer would help me know how to proceed.

Thanks!!
Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN1967.JPG
DSCN1967.JPG (136.17 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
DSCN1969.JPG
DSCN1969.JPG (135.17 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
DSCN1971.JPG
DSCN1971.JPG (135.33 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Last edited by outune on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outune
Victor IV

Re: Gutta Percha Help?? Needle bar attachment? ANYBODY??

Post by outune »

Bumping this back up- Anyone have a picture they can send me?? Anyone?

Brad

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: Gutta Percha Help?? Needle bar attachment?

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I can't recall ever having seen a stylus bar like the one in your top photo. Very odd.

I have two gutta percha reproducers at the moment (one is faded to greenish-brown), both have the same attachment as on the aluminum ones. The faded one is original to my Type G, so it's very early. I don't recall where I got the other.
Attachments
IMG_3028.JPG

outune
Victor IV

Re: Gutta Percha Help?? Needle bar attachment?

Post by outune »

Thanks Rene-- I love a good mystery... I had found a picture of a Type N machine with a GP reproducer. The reproducer area was really blurry, but it appears it may have a stair-step type bar like the one I pictured. Hmmmmm.... Guess I need some more research/input from other members...

The little 'step' fits perfectly over the clamp ring and shoulder of the reproducer. Sure looks like it was made to order. But the slot in the end makes me wonder about the type of connection to the diaphragm it should have.
I appreciate you responding and the pics.... I've got more work to do!

Brad Abell

slippery
Victor Jr

Re: Mystery Deepens-- Gutta Percha Stylus bar.. Help!

Post by slippery »

I think the stepped bar is correct...unfortunately mine is also missing something, it seems to rest on a strip of hard rubber? glued to the diaphragm
(click to enlarge)

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks "slippery"-- The more info we find--the more we know (isn't that profound!)

I agree that something is missing-- I'm picturing in my mind a small flat bar that fits in the slot with diagonals from each end to the center of the diaphragm--- but I'm also hungry right now so who knows why I'm seeing anything! :)

Hopefully this will encourage folks to look at their reproducers. I'm sure someone has a complete one that will solve the mystery.

Thanks for posting-- Now we know there are at least two with the "stair-step" stylus bar.

Thanks!

Brad Abell

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I would guess that the missing piece would be the same as the bell shaped connector that the aluminum version uses. The cross pin would fit in the slot at the end of the stylus bar. Makes me wonder if gutta percha is susceptible to expansion and contraction due to heat, humidity or time. The slot theory would allow for the relief of forces on the joint between the connector and the diaphragm if the reproducer body were to distort on any way. It's very common for the the connector to be loose from the diaphragm, that being the case, a "pin and slot" connection would simply allow the connector to fall off and be lost forever, versus still dangling from the pin, as we normally find.

clevelander
Victor II

Post by clevelander »

Brad,
The gutta percha reproducer of my Graphophone type N has exactly the same stylus bar as yours and it simply slots into a horizontal pin on the stud attached to the diaphragm.
Unfortunately I can't find the connecting lead for my camera, but I will try to send you a photo.
Alistair.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Outstanding Alistair-- I look forward to getting a picture from you. I know I could figure out a "way" to make it work-- But I really want to do it the "RIGHT Way".

Thanks so much for your help-- Please post the pic when you can.

Brad Abell

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Still looking for a good picture of the stylus bar link on the "stair-step" needle bar version of the Gutta Percha reproducer. Alistair-- Any Luck with finding your camera cord??

Thanks All-

Brad Abell