Wayne PAL Phonograph Show,, a perspective

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fmblizz
Victor IV

Wayne PAL Phonograph Show,, a perspective

Post by fmblizz »

If you couldn't make the show,, put it on your schedule for the fall.. It was nice to meet a few of the TMF members and we actually did a little bit of horse trading.. Great to see Raphael and his son made the long trip from Florida, John Paul, Steve Madara, donniej and a few others who's names I can't recall " I'm at that age LOL". A special thank you to Michael Devecka for his hard work and for fitting me in at the last minute..

For many, the show is about turning over some machines and parts and I'm all for that. What I have learned in the past 25 years is not to set any high expectations on sales and you won't come home disappointed. Most of the sale that I see are to other dealer and hobbyist and they generally know what their items are worth. I don't usually see many high end machines being sold at the show unless they are pre-arranged.. It's always a great venue to do some window shopping for that additional machine that you just have to have but don't really need.. LOL.. Now parts,, that's a whole other thing.. If there is something you need to complete a project , chances are you can either find it at the show or at the very least, one of the many longtime dealers can put you in contact with someone that has the part...

To wrap things up I have to say I had another great time and probably sold 80% of the machines I brought with me.. Many were project machines that I realized I no longer was going to find to time to do them justice and put them back together properly. It was nice to see and talk with a few young newcomer walking the isles and I sold a very nice original condition VV-6 to one of them for $175.00 first thing in the morning.. He was happy as I clam and that sale paid for my two tables... Everything else is gravy...

Yep for me the show is a fun social event and the perfect place to gain more knowledge and
a way to help cope with this physiological disorder we call collecting..

Hope to see you at the Fall Show on October 14,2018

Blizz

BiliBug
Victor Jr

Re: Wayne PAL Phonograph Show,, a perspective

Post by BiliBug »

I couldn't agree more. I bought a few very much wanted cylinders and an odd part or two, but the best part of my short time there (I got called home for an emergency after about 2 hours), was meeting and speaking with some of you. I had a really nice time talking again to Ron Sitko, who is always willing to explain various technical details and identify parts needs. I also introduced myself to Rich Gordon, who lives nearby, and his wife, with whom I had a lovely chat about my collecting history. That conversation included the story of my recording Tiny Tim singing Abe Lyman's "Mary Lou" back in the 80's. LOL.

I learn tons from going to this event. I see machines I've ever only seen pictures of in books, and can identify parts I need from existing machines. Some of the parts prices are a bit high from certain vendors, but overall, there is something for everyone. There is a definite sense of community, and it is events like this that keep it going. I can't wait for the Autumn show.

-Bil
Brunswick Model 120, Victor Victrola VV-IV (Rev E), Victor Victrola VV-XIV (Rev B), Edison Standard A and B (2)