I probably should be punished

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

I probably should be punished

Post by Benjamin_L »

(I just commit the biggest monstrosity you can do.)

I just purchased a box set of Cheney reproducers with the original Pathé and Diamond styli. I asked why they didn't want to keep them with the machine and they said they wanted to turn it into a wine cabinet. I gave my two cents but they didn't seem to care that much.

I still wen't through and got it against my better judgement, and they didn't seem to care that much about the rest, with giving the impression they may even toss some of it out. (Which Just made me feel bad about the whole thing)

I'm going to try pushing it to the back of my mind, but still...
Last edited by Benjamin_L on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Re: I probably should be punished

Post by victor 15-1 »

Benjamin_L wrote:(I just commit the biggest monstrosity you can do.)

I just purchased a box set of Cheney reproducers with the original Pathé' and Diamond needles. I asked why they didn't want to keep them with the machine and they said they wanted to turn it into a wine cabinet. I gave my two cents but they didn't seem to care that much.

I still wen't through and got them against my better judgement, and they didn't seem to care that much about the rest with giving the imprison they may even toss some of it out. (Which Just made me feel bad about the whole thing)

I'm going to try pushing it to the back of my mind, but still...
This is more common than we call would like to think

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Try posting the items you want to sell on Yankee Trader. Perhaps someone else can use them.

Benjamin_L
Victor III

Post by Benjamin_L »

EdiBrunsVic wrote:Try posting the items you want to sell on Yankee Trader. Perhaps someone else can use them.
I couldn't get anything else and tried convening them to put the rest on eBay.(Which I don't know if they well.)

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

‘Stylus’ is a more accurate term in this case than “needles”. ‘Stylus/styli’ refers to a permanent or semi-permanent, usually jeweled point. ‘Needle’ refers to an impermanent, disposable point.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Benjamin_L
Victor III

Post by Benjamin_L »

JohnM wrote:‘Stylus’ is a more accurate term in this case than “needles”. ‘Stylus/styli’ refers to a permanent or semi-permanent, usually jeweled point. ‘Needle’ refers to an impermanent, disposable point.
Thanks John, I'll correct that. I guess I'm just used to seeing needle more, even for Pathé jeweled ones.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

No punishment necessary. There's nothing much you can do about it when people have made up their minds to do something like this. At least you were able to salvage some of the components.

I've seen numerous "conversions" over the years; the saddest was about 35 years ago, an otherwise perfect VV-XVIII ( http://www.victor-victrola.com/XVIII.htm ) had been converted by a college friend's mother to house a then-modern stereo and receiver. I asked her what had become of the original motor-board, motor, horn, etc. and she said she had them hauled away to the dump. She saved the gold-plated crank and tonearm with the sound box, which was still in place in back of the Sony turntable. The really sad thing is, it had belonged to her grandfather, and was part of the estate she inherited from him. She showed me the original sales receipt for it (FCS!!!), which really stuck the knife in.

It's hard to refrain from telling your school chum's mother what you think of her, under these circumstances, but I managed to hold it in. I did get out something like, "it's a shame. If it was all complete it would be worth about $1,000-$2,000, but now, it's only worth about $100," but it didn't seem to have much of an impact on her.

OrthoFan

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

OrthoFan wrote:No punishment necessary. There's nothing much you can do about it when people have made up their minds to do something like this. At least you were able to salvage some of the components.

I've seen numerous "conversions" over the years; the saddest was about 35 years ago, an otherwise perfect VV-XVIII ( http://www.victor-victrola.com/XVIII.htm ) had been converted by a college friend's mother to house a then-modern stereo and receiver. I asked her what had become of the original motor-board, motor, horn, etc. and she said she had them hauled away to the dump. She saved the gold-plated crank and tonearm with the sound box, which was still in place in back of the Sony turntable. The really sad thing is, it had belonged to her grandfather, and was part of the estate she inherited from him. She showed me the original sales receipt for it (FCS!!!), which really stuck the knife in.

It's hard to refrain from telling your school chum's mother what you think of her, under these circumstances, but I managed to hold it in. I did get out something like, "it's a shame. If it was all complete it would be worth about $1,000-$2,000, but now, it's only worth about $100," but it didn't seem to have much of an impact on her.

OrthoFan
People are doing the same thing to the big Electrolas all the time. Last year I "saved" a perfect complete 9-54 from being converted because the owner could not find anyone to fix the amp and I already had a 9-54 since high school..people think you are nutty for having two and the explanation for having two does not change their minds. I worry about the future of all this stuff.