THE MYSTERY OF THE WARBLY TRIUMPH.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Pete Stratford
Victor II

THE MYSTERY OF THE WARBLY TRIUMPH.

Post by Pete Stratford »

I recently acquired a Triumph model A from the estate of the original family who purchased it new in Connecticut. It is in very nice condition. About 15 years ago the family had someone strip down the motor and give it a good cleaning and greasing so it runs very quiet and smooth. I replaced the old tired belt with a new one. The problem is that when I play a record the sound has a slight warble. i adjusted the motor tension but it made no difference. Finally I decided to have a look at my other triumph model A and compare the two. Turns out someone has installed the upper pulley backwards which throws out the upper and lower pulley alignment. You would think it would be an easy fix but I can't get the pulley off the shaft. It is stuck fast. You can see in one of the close up pictures that someone has already realized their mistake and has tried to tap it off. You can see four evenly spaced marks on the back from their attempt. I am looking for suggestions on the best way to remove it without damaging the threads on the shaft.
Thanks
Pete
Attachments
IMG_9890.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0290.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: THE MYSTERY OF THE WARBLY TRIUMPH.

Post by JerryVan »

Did you remove the setscrew?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

If the setscrew is removed, or loosened, and it still won't come off, try heating it slightly with a propane torch. Don't go nuts with the heat, the idea is just to get it hot enough to melt old dried oil that might be "gluing" it in place.

Pete Stratford
Victor II

Post by Pete Stratford »

Yes I did remove the set screw. The torch idea is a good one. I think I will give it a try. I have on of those miniature butane torches I can use. Just have to be careful not to damage the bed plate paint.
Pete

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Similar to heat you can also try an ice spray, available at the auto parts store for just that purpose. Beautiful machine by the way.

Good luck!
Andreas

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I may take some flak on this (that's ok as I'm trying to help!) but another idea that I would try if the heating trick doesn't work is wrapping a sufficient amount of narrowly cut rag (to prevent any scarring) around the pulley "sleeve" (nearest the end of the mandrel shaft). Then carefully set the tension of the jaws on a small (read: narrow) set of vice grips around the sufficiently rag-wrapped pulley sleeve and with your hand gripped on the mandrel see if you can gently ease the pulley off using a slow....twisting...motion while holding the mandrel. If the pulley turns even a little bit you may be able to ease it gently off. Good luck with it.

Doug

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

FellowCollector wrote:I may take some flak on this (that's ok as I'm trying to help!) but another idea that I would try if the heating trick doesn't work is wrapping a sufficient amount of narrowly cut rag (to prevent any scarring) around the pulley "sleeve" (nearest the end of the mandrel shaft). Then carefully set the tension of the jaws on a small (read: narrow) set of vice grips around the sufficiently rag-wrapped pulley sleeve and with your hand gripped on the mandrel see if you can gently ease the pulley off using a slow....twisting...motion while holding the mandrel. If the pulley turns even a little bit you may be able to ease it gently off. Good luck with it.

Doug

Not saying the above method is not worth trying, but if you do try this, be very careful that the mandrel does not begin to slip on the shaft before the pulley comes loose.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Pete try using Kroil. Apply it to both sides of the joint and let soak a day or two. Then use rubber gloves holding the mandrel and pulley. Hopefully you will be able to spin it off.

Rich Gordon

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Invest in a small gear puller.

As Rich mentioned put kroil or other penetrating oil around the shaft & pulley contact area. After letting it sit for a while use the puller to slide the pulley off the shaft.

A lot more civilized than pounding with a hammer.

Chuck

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

It is always tempting to twist something loose, but that will often times score and displace some material and actually make the situation worse. A little penetrating oil on both sides of the pulley and into the empty set screw hole and a gear puller would be my recommendation, being careful that the jaws are applying all of the pressure inboard of the flange. You can temporarily attach a couple small pieces of aluminum to the face of the pulley to protect it from the jaws of the puller.

Probably not the case here, but in some applications set screws are stacked to prevent the primary screw from backing loose. Just something to be aware of.

And I agree, very nice looking machine.

Good luck