How to adjust speed on Diamond Disc with no speed control?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

How to adjust speed on Diamond Disc with no speed control?

Post by 52089 »

I just got my first "late" Diamond Disc motor, the kind with no exposed speed control at all. It's playing at about 78-79 and I'd like to correct it.

I imagine this would involve an adjustment to the governor yoke, but I'm not sure. If someone with experience could post instructions and/or photos, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: How to adjust speed on Diamond Disc with no speed contro

Post by PeterF »

It's doable but requires patience, and a special tool that none of us probably have, although you can fake it with a pair of needlenose pliers. Search the forum...I'm almost certain we went over it a few years ago, with pix.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

OK, so that's what mine looks like too. Does turning that notched "screw" adjust the speed, or does it merely loosen the yoke? Or do I have to loosen the governor bearings and move the governor manually?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Good find! Let me import the photo from that thread to this one, and give a bit of explanation.

Ok, see that round thingie on the left side, with the four notches? You have to stick a two-pronged tool into an opposing pair of the notches and rotate slowly while playing a record, til the speed is where you want it. It's a cam, not a screw, so there is no danger of overspeed or having parts fly all over - it simply cycles from slightly slow to slightly fast and back again as you rotate it.

I used a pair of long skinny needlenose pliers. It's hard to get it right, hard to reach, and the pliers slip out easily. If you have the ability, making a tool that is less prone to slip might make things easier.

Strongly suggest you clean and degum and properly lube the motor before changing the setting. Get some really strong lighting too.
Attachments
late DD governor.JPG

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Thanks for the explanation, Peter. On mine, the notched ring is very, very thin. I tried grabbing the outside of the ring with different types of pliers with no luck. The needle nose pliers I have are definitely too wide for this too. I'm afraid I'll have to manually adjust the governor bearings a hair if I want to make this work properly.

Right now, the motor is not in use in a machine and won't be unless I find a suitable cabinet with no (or a wrecked) motor, which is unlikely. I will keep this in mind for "someday".

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Well, why not invest a few bucks in some needlenose pliers instead of altering geometries and clearances? You'll be able to put them to use on other projects. Here, this is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001IW50Y/re ... B001BQF1AQ

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BQF1AQ/re ... B0001IW50Y

I will admit to pinching myself pretty good doing it that way, though. Grinding down a nutdriver with the suitable socket diameter, to get four little projecting fingers, would be the right way to do it.

Note that you also have the so-called "shock proof" late-era governor, which is pretty cool.

Chilesave
Victor II

Post by Chilesave »

I bet snap ring pliers would work great. Home depot has them and not expensive.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I use snap ring pliers for this type of thing and they work great... plus they remove or install snap rings...
https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-927- ... pliers+set
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

52089 wrote:I just got my first "late" Diamond Disc motor... It's playing at about 78-79 and I'd like to correct it.
It was my impression that the very late Diamond Discs were recorded at 78 rpm as the company was transitioning to electric recording and the edison laterals. I'm thinking that the speed setting for this late motor may be correct considering the era in which it was made. (I'm always looking for reasons to avoid work. :) )

Regards,
Martin