How to adjust speed on Diamond Disc with no speed control?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: How to adjust speed on Diamond Disc with no speed contro

Post by marcapra »

My phono mechanic made a simple tool for me to do this on my Schubert Edisonic. All he did was take a piece of scrap sheet metal about ½" wide and about 5" long. and Dremeled out the middle part on the end so that two fingers were sticking out. And there's your tool! It works a lot better than my needle nose pliers which kept slipping off.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Well after a bit of frustration with pliers, both needle nose and regular, I gave up. It wasn't a critical project.

Yesterday, I had need of a wire cutter for something completely unrelated. Then I realized that the top of the wire cutter had 2 thin, flat bars, pretty much exactly what I needed. So I tried it and Bingo! I can turn the cam, at least a bit, but hopefully enough to make a 1 rpm difference.

It's still going to be a pain to adjust, but at least now I know something that will work!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Now I'm having some trouble with the speed control on my IU-19. I noticed when playing B. A. Rolfe's Bye, Bye Blackbird that the turntable was way too fast. It was obvious when the singer started to sing. I have seen my technician adjust the speed control using a homemade spanner wrench. When I tried to adjust the speed, I found I couldn't make the cam bolt budge. One problem with the wrench is that I can't put a lot of torque on it because the wrench only contacts the cam in two tiny slots and I have to hold the wrench with two weak fingers. No room for a hand to get in there. Does that bolt directly above the cam need to be loosened to adjust the speed bolt?
Attachments
P1010034.JPG