Columbia Model Q. Looking for some information.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Menophanes
Victor II

Re: Columbia Model Q. Looking for some information.

Post by Menophanes »

Josh Cattermole 1999 wrote:Thanks Oliver. The spring seems to hold up really well and is very strong. When it winds it gets very very resistant once it has been wound for a bit, so I reckon the spring still holds considerable strength. As to the speed, I don't think it's perfect, but it sounds normal enough and, if anything, the odd speed adds to the atmosphere of playing an old machine like this. But I only play the machine as more of a novelty, so doesn't matter too much if the speed is a little off. more of a decorative piece now, though still cranks up and plays like a charm when needed.

Congratulations on your purchase, I love the 19th century machines so your example fits right in there. Really amazing :) Would love to see it.

Cheers.
My new machine (Columbia AT) can be both seen and heard here: – http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=39764 . The previous owner, our colleague Alex (kirtley2012), has done some first-class restoration work on it; he gave many detailed reports on this on this Board from about last November onwards. His pictures are better than anything I am likely to be able to supply. The banner on the case is original (somewhat faded and rubbed, but still far too good to justify replacing it); the decorations on the upper works are facsimiles supplied by Gregg Cline (http://www.phonodecal.com). I believe the reproducer is the correct one for this model and date (this pattern is sometimes referred to as 'No. 2'), and it has an authentic glass diaphragm which, to my ears, gives a more sharply-defined sound than the more usual mica.

Oliver Mundy.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

Oh wow. A very fine machine, and your selling price is actually really good. If I had the money I'd probably have bought it, but , alas, I am pretty skint after buying a Berliner disc. Fantastic machine, sounds lovely. Best of luck with selling it.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

Josh Cattermole 1999 wrote:Oh wow. A very fine machine, and your selling price is actually really good . . .
Actually I was the buyer, not the seller! It will not be on the market again during my life, unless I lose my ears or my wits.

Oliver Mundy.

Josh Cattermole 1999
Victor I

Post by Josh Cattermole 1999 »

Wow! Great purchase! :D Really a gorgeous machine. Hope you enjoy it :)