Wurlitzer Assistance Needed

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Wurlitzer Assistance Needed

Post by pellicano1 »

Hey guys. I picked up this phonograph and having issues! It has the Wurlitzer logo above the motorboard and under the cabinet lid. Was this actually made by Wurlitzer Brothers?? Which leads to my next issue. The tonearm is not lining up the reproducer properly for proper play. I tried checking the Credenza and 8-4 tonearm and mount setup but same issue. If I were to look for a tonearm / mount setup, which brand should I be looking for? There is not a lot of space from the mount to the turntable. The mount hole / opening is 2 ¼". The distance from the mount center to spindle is 8".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Steve
Attachments
58372599_101.jpg
57504604_1015695.jpg
IMG_20190420_133342686.jpg
55782.jpg
55782.jpg (85.75 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Last edited by pellicano1 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Garret
Victor IV

Re: Wurlitzer Assistance Needed

Post by Garret »

Whew. This one has some issues. The record on the turntable probably isn't a happy camper, given the wrong angle of the reproducer.

Garret

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

Garret wrote:Whew. This one has some issues. The record on the turntable probably isn't a happy camper, given the wrong angle of the reproducer.

Garret
Yeah not playing it so the record is safe :)
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

pellicano1 wrote:Hey guys. I picked up this phonograph and having issues! It has the Wurlitzer logo above the motorboard and under the cabinet lid. Was this actually made by Wurlitzer Brothers?? Which leads to my next issue. The tonearm is not lining up the reproducer properly for proper play. I tried checking the Credenza and 8-4 tonearm and mount setup but same issue. If I were to look for a tonearm / mount setup, which brand should I be looking for? There is not a lot of space from the mount to the turntable. The mount hole / opening is 2 ¼". The distance from the mount center to spindle is 8".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Steve
Thomas A. Edison

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hey Steve, if you don't mind me asking, what does the reproducer face look like? Maybe someone here who owns an old Wurlitzer can chime in and look.

If you've got kids, then you can add the conversion kit to it. Give them five cents every time they wind it up and put on a new record. Boom, instant Wurlitzer coin-op! :D

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

Steve, I think this one is getting to you... you are talking to yourself!

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

mick_vt wrote:Steve, I think this one is getting to you... you are talking to yourself!
HAHAHA True!! I meant to edit lol. But true I do get obsessed to finish projects!!
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Hey Steve, if you don't mind me asking, what does the reproducer face look like? Maybe someone here who owns an old Wurlitzer can chime in and look.

If you've got kids, then you can add the conversion kit to it. Give them five cents every time they wind it up and put on a new record. Boom, instant Wurlitzer coin-op! :D
Haha I do but they dont touch Daddy's toys lol. Here is the reproducer. Its an Ultraphonic soundbox.
Attachments
IMG_20190420_133511541.jpg
Thomas A. Edison

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

The turntable with the angled edge was an Emerson characteristic -----gold on the higher end models, nickel on the regular models and a flat sided turntable on the lower end machines. Some other manufacturers also used them---I believe I may have seen a Rivoli with one. There had been an Emerson Euphonic in an auction down in Mississippi??? that had a cabinet similar to yours. I found out about it after the auction ended but could not get the contact information to see if he would sell it to me. Good Luck with yours.

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

emerson wrote:The turntable with the angled edge was an Emerson characteristic -----gold on the higher end models, nickel on the regular models and a flat sided turntable on the lower end machines. Some other manufacturers also used them---I believe I may have seen a Rivoli with one. There had been an Emerson Euphonic in an auction down in Mississippi??? that had a cabinet similar to yours. I found out about it after the auction ended but could not get the contact information to see if he would sell it to me. Good Luck with yours.
Wow other than a different motorboard arrangement I think your right! Thanks for the info!!
Thomas A. Edison