Graphophone AT

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Teak
Victor II

Graphophone AT

Post by Teak »

Guys, please help me. I am working on my Graphophone AT, completing the motor.

Does the crank turn while playing?

I am thoroughly confused!

Many thanks!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Graphophone AT

Post by phonogfp »

Yes, the crank turns while playing, as the mainsprings unwind. That's why Columbia provided a "fall-off" type crank for this model.

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

phonogfp wrote:Yes, the crank turns while playing, as the mainsprings unwind. That's why Columbia provided a "fall-off" type crank for this model.

George P.
That's another question: why didn't they just leave the crank to unwind without falling off?

Bill

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Lucius1958 wrote:
phonogfp wrote:Yes, the crank turns while playing, as the mainsprings unwind. That's why Columbia provided a "fall-off" type crank for this model.

George P.
That's another question: why didn't they just leave the crank to unwind without falling off?

Bill

My guess is that because the crank shaft is horizontal, a large portion of the rotation would involve resistance caused by the weight of the crank arm. This and the additional driving force as the weight has the opposite effect as it uses it’s weight to help drive the motor on the way back down could rob power on the upstroke, increase power on the downstroke and stress the drivetrain during the transition between the up and downstrokes. The main purpose was probably to prevent the loss of power on the upstroke.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The loss of power on the upstroke is a good point, but my simple mind is drawn to the possibility of a rigid crank stopping at the 12:00 position and posing a hazard to removing the cylinder. I don't know...

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

With disc models the fall off crank would fall before it interfered with a large record. Jerry B.