Berliner Model JT

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jamesweekes
Victor Jr

Berliner Model JT

Post by jamesweekes »

I have a Canadian Berliner model JT with wooden horn. I was wondering if this has a corresponding Victor model, or if that's not the way it was done. I can't find this model online and the Canadian Phonograph Museum has no information. It looks similar to a Victor, but without the fluted "columns" in each corner of the base. They are chamfered though.The horn is 21" diameter and the base of the machine is 15 ¾" square. Thanks very much for any input. James
Attachments
DSCF0592.jpg
DSCF0586.jpg
DSCF0584.jpg
DSCF0554.jpg
DSCF0558.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Berliner Model JT

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

A very beautiful machine! The escutcheon is different than anything I ever saw.

Perhaps contact the Johnson Victrola Museum?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Beautiful machine! The dimensions of the case lie between a Victor IV and a Victor V, probably closer to the V. A comparison of the motors could further narrow down the closest Victor cousin. Maybe you could post some pictures of the motor?

Thanks
Andreas

jamesweekes
Victor Jr

Post by jamesweekes »

Thank you very much for the replies gentlemen, I really appreciate your input. I have added a photo of the motor. That isn't paint...the mounts are a bronze-like metal. Also a photo of the label found under the machine. Could you tell me if there was indeed some connection between Victor and Berliner Montreal or am I searching in vain for an equivalent model. James
Attachments
DSCF0593.jpg
DSCF0600.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

That looks like an early motor, similar like in a Victor MS or maybe a Victor D? Victor and Berliner were definitely working together, even though there were some slight differences in the models. Later in the teens Victor manufactured machines for Berliner, but earlier the alignment was more loose I think.

Andreas

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Are you 100% certain that the horn is wood? From your photos, it really appears to be a paper mache horn with a wood grain finish. A far rarer horn than a wooden one.

jamesweekes
Victor Jr

Post by jamesweekes »

Thanks for the new input. Jerry, this is the first "wooden" horn gramophone I've owned. After your post I've taken a very close look at an edge nick and it would appear that you're correct, from the fibres going in random directions it looks to be a composite. I wasn't aware that they were made of anything but wood. I am lucky to have made connection with so many knowledgeable people, thank you again.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

You bet! That's probably the nicest condition paper mache horn I've even seen! Congratulations!