Columbia BZ Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

Columbia BZ Questions

Post by Dave D »

I am working on a Columbia BZ that found its way to me in a box, all apart. A few things are missing and I hope to find out for sure what I need.
Question 1: Does it use the same plate with threaded studs to hold the back bracket on as used on a Standard Model A?

Question 2: Does it use a thin, stamped turntable such as used on most of the front mount Columbia models or does it use the cast type with all the holes in it?

I would appreciate knowing what I need to get.
Thanks!
Dave D

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Columbia BZ Questions

Post by Dave D »

I have my answer for question number 1. Still wondering about the turntable.
Dave D

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Dave, here are many different configurations with these machines like most Columbia ones. Remember, Columbia machines were not as consistent as Victor or Edison. The early machines had the thin turntable, but some had the thicker turntables. The BZ came out around 1910, and by this time, Columbia was going to the thicker turntable. I really believe either one is correct. I have seen BZ machines with the set up like on a Standard model A and similar machines. I have also seen these with the bracket held on by nuts and bolts. I have two versions of this machine. One is the early one with the thick turntable from about 1910-11. It has the unique 7 panel horn like the one shown in the Forum. My other one is a late one with a tone arm with a bayonet fitting for the reproducer. This has a label dating it to 1914. The turntable is that later 10" one with the Swiss cheese holes. This one if a Dr. Rosenthal's Disk Languagephome set up.
Harvey Kravitz

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Thanks, Harvey. I see the outline of a metal plate in the cabinet which would have held the studs to support the back bracket. If I don't find an original, I will make a new one. I borrowed one from my Harmony rear mount and it is a perfect match.
Dave

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Yes, the Harmony and other machines used this same plate.
Harvey Kravitz