Selling/Shipping Machines Overseas - Lessons Learned (eBay)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Remmotors
Victor O

Re: Selling/Shipping Machines Overseas - Lessons Learned (eB

Post by Remmotors »

I had a similar experience but with a domestic buyer (in my own state, no less). A complaint was filed with eBay 10 days after the item was received, the buyer claiming that it was "Not as Advertised". Photos showed the item had beed damaged. eBay took the money out of my PayPal account, including shipping charges both ways. When the item was returned, pieces were missing. I called eBay and complained and was told to "Suck it Up". So much for Seller Protection. This is why I rarely sell anything on eBay….

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I think your mistake on that one was to accept the return, rather than go towards an insurance claim. I would have gotten on the phone with eBay, with the photos of the damaged item as provided by the buyer (plus the pictures showing the prior, undamaged, state from the listing) and made my case from there.

Remmotors
Victor O

Post by Remmotors »

I DID call eBay! They told me the item would be returned and I had no choice in the matter because of “Buyer Protection”. I pointed out the photos he sent showing the damage and that he waited 10 days to file a claim. They said it didn’t matter because of “Buyer Protection”. I called them back when the item was returned saying that parts of the item were missing and the guy told me the case was closed and that I had to “Suck it Up”.....

jamesweekes
Victor Jr

Post by jamesweekes »

As a buyer in Canada I frequently try to talk eBay sellers out of using GSP. In Canada we pay 13% on all imports, even antiques but the GSP seems to add 25-30% to the selling price to cover "brokerage" as well. To be honest, most small packages come into Canada with no tax being charged so I'd far rather take my chances with USPS than deal with the GSP's exorbitant fees. Canada Post's brokerage fees on packages sent this way are a flat $10. It's put me off many eBay purchases in the past. It really isn't eBay making it "easier for buyers"...it's just another way for them to make even more money off sales.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Yeah, I'd agree with that about not needing GSP for Canada. When a listing that offers GSP ends, if you are a non-US winner, does it ONLY offer that shipping choice to you? Or is there a drop-down where it is one of the choices?

Also, next time I create a listing, I'll look at that aspect specifically for buyers in The Great White North.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

PeterF wrote:Yeah, I'd agree with that about not needing GSP for Canada. When a listing that offers GSP ends, if you are a non-US winner, does it ONLY offer that shipping choice to you? Or is there a drop-down where it is one of the choices?
Buying in the US from here in the UK, no, never. The only way round it is to "pretend" that you've collected and paid for the item in person, pay by some other means and have the seller ship direct if they agree to do that.

GSP is sheer idiocy and another cynical money grabbing system. Buying records on separate listings for instance, they can't be combined for shipping to the UK! In the past I have had to cancel a couple of orders, something I hate doing for several reasons. Why eBay persist with it when there are countless rants about these matters on their community forum I can't fathom.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

As an infrequent seller, I certainly have no desire whatsoever to learn about customs duties and international shipping carriers or anything like that at all. Thus, my interest in the GSP is purely one of ignorance and convenience. But if I encounter things like the incident that I recounted above, or hear more stories from buyers about how it’s bad for them as well, I may just stop selling internationally altogether!

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

By the way, the HK dealer who attempted to defraud me turns out to have done so successfully to a few other members here. I might go back to eBay and let them know.