Phonograph Repair Work

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mark
Victor Jr

Phonograph Repair Work

Post by Mark »

Hi,

Does anyone do phonograph repair work in eastern Pennsylvania? Basically looking for someone to clean up the motor (clean off all the old grease including the hard clumps) and repack the springs.

Thanks,
Mark

Henry
Victor V

Re: Phonograph Repair Work

Post by Henry »

Try Matt Brown in Reading: http://www.misterphonograph.com/.

Mark
Victor Jr

Post by Mark »

Thank you,

I have it booked marked. Will be calling him soon.

Mark

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

If you want to clean some of the grease off the motor yourself try some acetone in a well ventilated area- any of the hydrocarbons will dissolve the hardened grease, the old timers used gasoline, kerosene or naptha- which is NOT recommended. I used to use WD-40. It does a great job of cleaning off old graphite grease but leaves a residue (and a smell) that you've got to clean off afterwards.

If you want to try cleaning the case yourself go to a hardware supply store and pick up a container of Go-Jo Hand Cleaner WITHOUT pumice. Rub a good coat onto the finish, let it sit a little then rub it off. It takes off an astonishing amount of dirt and will dissolve and soften the old varnish slightly so some of the surface scratches are minimized. Let it sit at least a day between cleanings, and at least three days before you put any new finish or polish on itIf your finish isn't too badly gone a couple cleaning treatments followed by a light finish coat can get it looking nice. Fortunately your machine doesn't have decals inside the lid to worry about so you can polish everything. A new piece of green felt on the turntable will help too.

DrGregC
Victor I

Post by DrGregC »

One of the best phonograph repair persons is right in Sellersville, PA - just about midway between Philadelphia and Allentown. His name is Bob Snyder. Bob has been doing "antique mechanical musical restorations" since 1970. I cannot recommend Bob highly enough. He is a machinist and his background shows in his meticulous and caring work. He is also a passionate collector and music aficionado. Bob can be contacted at: rks426@verizon.net or 215-453-9365.

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

Don't forget Walt Sommers. He's located around Gettysburg, PA.
www.victrolaguy.com
or
717-334-0862