Trouble in paradise--mint Vic III with epic motor damage

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Trouble in paradise--mint Vic III with epic motor damage

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

edisonphonoworks wrote:The winding gear usuall has a slot, and the shaft has a pin through the winding shaft.
These pins break and they are usually tapered, if their is anyway of measuring what is left and see what the measurments are, you need another tapered pin to replace the one that broke. Many early Victor motors have this arrangement. Ron Sitko probably has them, it is a common Victor III problem.
Well, I made me a new pin from some very hard steel. Seems to hold nicely. I still don't know which way to wind the springs--clockwise or what?--and how to set up that crazy old ratchet. Guess I had no idea what I was getting into with this project, but it's been learning every bit of it...these are the most fun!!

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Trouble in paradise--mint Vic III with epic motor damage

Post by alang »

You can figure out how the springs have to be wound by following the mechanics from the crank to the springs to the turntable. On a single spring motor that's quite easy, with multiple springs you have to figure out how the end of the first spring connects to the beginning of the second spring. Sometimes it is with a shaft, sometimes through the spring barrel, etc. In the end, all springs together have to create one long spring, connected from one end to the next beginning. Once you figured that out you can test this theoretical model in your head by imagining how the springs would drive the turntable winding down. It is a bit of brain gymnastics at first, but once you figured it out it will help you in the future better understand the workings of a motor and how to troubleshoot it.

Good luck!
Andreas