Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Unusual Edison W250

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:
fran604g wrote:
George, Phonogal is correct I think, the William and Mary on pg.221 of your Compendium appears to have the late "gun-metal" finish.

Best,
Fran
Isn't that what I wrote? Of course I got the page number wrong, so who knows what else was screwed up...? :lol:

George P.
Hey, I'm just agreeing with you, Mr. Paul. Where would we be without our friends having our backs? :lol: :rose:
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Fran, all due respect, you are talking about the "consistency" of earlier and later "antique finished" parts. I agree that there may be some consistency, but again it would only be consistent if the same employee burnished all of the parts, since they were hand done, not machined. I am sure that there was more than one employee in charge of burnishing and that the only way to compare for consistency would be a side by side comparison of ALL burnished parts that came out of the factory on various dates, and on ALL machines with that finish attributed to specific employees.

To use a limited number of examples on a limited number of existing models does not provide an accurate comparison to base any assumptions. As an example, maybe Phonogals machine has the most common form of decoration on it and the majority of those machines were scrapped, while the machines with the more attractive decorations were preserved... who knows? My point is that I don't believe that anything can be determined by the pattern, attractiveness or consistency of a burnished part... This is not an argument, but a fact that all hand done parts are individually unique...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

If you check the pictures on the internet of machines with oxidized finishes you will find a vast difference in the patterns and amount of dark areas verses burnished areas. I don't think my machines hardware was a gun metal finish oops and it sure isn't gold. Frow doesn't mention any other finish for this model other than gold but I'm sure it could be ordered if the customer wanted it. So does anyone have a W250 with an earlier serial number than mine? If so, what finish does it have? It would be interesting to know when the gun metal finish replaced the gold finish.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

I found a picture of this reproducer that recently sold on Ebay. Would you consider this to be an oxidized reproducer? The pattern seems to be more like what Fran posted for what an oxidized finish would look like but the bottom of this early style standard has a different pattern. This was listed as antique bronze. I'm confused :?
Edison-Antique-Bronze-diamond-Disc-Phonograph-Reproducer-Assembly1.jpg
Attachments
Edison-Antique-Bronze-diamond-Disc-Phonograph-Reproducer-Assembly-_57.jpg
Last edited by phonogal on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

phonogal wrote:I found a picture of this reproducer that recently sold on Ebay. Would you consider this to be an oxidized reproducer? The pattern seems to be more like what Fran posted for what an oxidized finish would look like but the bottom of this early style standard has a different pattern.
Yes, definitely...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Curt A wrote:
phonogal wrote:I found a picture of this reproducer that recently sold on Ebay. Would you consider this to be an oxidized reproducer? The pattern seems to be more like what Fran posted for what an oxidized finish would look like but the bottom of this early style standard has a different pattern.
Yes, definitely...
If you will look at the picture of the bottom of that reproducer, that is what the pattern looks like on my machine. Same finish.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Edison called that "Oxidized Bronze" in its catalogs, but we collectors like to use our own nomenclature. ;)

George P.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

phonogfp wrote:Edison called that "Oxidized Bronze" in its catalogs, but we collectors like to use our own nomenclature. ;)

George P.
I'm still confused about the finish on my machine, It looks like an oxidized finish to me. It doesn't look like the gun metal finish and it certainly is not gold. Frow only lists those options on the W250 and W19. I know the pattern on mine is more spots than lines but there is a picture of an Idelia on pg 182 of your book with spots.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

As Curt and George both said, yes -- the one you just posted is "Oxidized Bronze" that was used on the A 150.

Very interesting.

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogal wrote: It would be interesting to know when the gun metal finish replaced the gold finish.
I'm not certain that the "Antique" finish -- as it was called in Edison propaganda (not gun-metal, that seems to be a modern term) -- ever completely replaced the gold plated finish with the Official Laboratory Models.

I don't believe it did specifically in regard to the Chippendale Upright. I've documented some very late C 19s with both Antique, and Gold finishes.

Toward the end of production it seems the co. was using whatever they could find in inventory to fill orders.

It seems that you, Sean, and Bruce all have a variant finish I hadn't previously noted.

That surprises me a little, but then I haven't examined the W&M as intently as I have the Chippendale.

Would you say the burnished places on your horn is copper-like, and an exact match to the places exposed on your reproducer, or a different underlying color?

Best,
Fran