Types of EXHIBITION reproducers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
emerson
Victor III

Re: Types of EXHIBITION reproducers

Post by emerson »

What exhibition reproducer was used on the VV-IV that had the metal grill cover----I could use one and a turntable. Thanks

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

This used the Exhibition Jr., the same as a Victor O of that period. The turn table was a pressed steel 10" one with the short shank.
Harvey Kravitz
emerson wrote:What exhibition reproducer was used on the VV-IV that had the metal grill cover----I could use one and a turntable. Thanks

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

GregVTLA wrote:Thanks for the pictures. It looks like the Exhibition A is of MUCH less quality then the Exhibition. How does it sound?
This Exhibition A has now been rebuilt. It is lighter than the brass version, and actually sounds pretty good now after the rebuild. It was in really sorry shape when I got it. It came apart easier than I expected (I risked it crumbling). The pot metal is actually decent, and it is an interesting little reproducer. I'd never seen one before.

Matt

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Though NOT an Exhibition, I believe the Eldridge Johnson "New Century" reproducer was a precursor of it.
Attachments
DSC04720.JPG
DSC04719.JPG
DSC04718.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Zeppy wrote:In the US, the switch over from the round chuck to the triangular one to take the fibre needle happened in 1909. The pre-1909 reproducers also had a curled adjustment nut for the balance nuts, and the later had a hex nut.

There were also differences in the text on the face, and the back, the raised portion that connected to the isolator at 90 degree angle versus the later sloped.

However, Victor dealers would upgrade you from the round needle chuck to the triangular for a charge, so don't be surprised to find a body that looks pre-1909 with a triangular needle chuck. and of course there was also the Exhibitions with the quick release lever (also pre-1909...I have no idea how long these were in production)....and of course, they eventually produced the pot-metal Exhibition A.

On the UK side, I don't have the above referenced book, but I know the earlier one (gramophone and typewriter company), were made in the US, as were the Gramophone Co., and the ones with nipper. The "his master's voice" were English made. I have no idea what years they were produced. I have a small collection of Exhibition variations, so I figured, I'd share some pictures.
Could you please explain to me what you mean by "sloped".

Thank you,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fourbaers
Victor O

Post by fourbaers »

Here is the Proudfoot referenced above. It's a PDF so hopefully it will post OK here. If not I'll try to jpeg it.
Attachments
HMV Reproducers via Proudfoot.pdf
(7.32 MiB) Downloaded 90 times

fourbaers
Victor O

Post by fourbaers »

Here's a rare Exhibition version marked Eldridge Johnson.
Attachments
Exhibition, Eldridge Johnson.jpg

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

fran604g wrote:
Zeppy wrote:In the US, the switch over from the round chuck to the triangular one to take the fibre needle happened in 1909. The pre-1909 reproducers also had a curled adjustment nut for the balance nuts, and the later had a hex nut.

There were also differences in the text on the face, and the back, the raised portion that connected to the isolator at 90 degree angle versus the later sloped.

However, Victor dealers would upgrade you from the round needle chuck to the triangular for a charge, so don't be surprised to find a body that looks pre-1909 with a triangular needle chuck. and of course there was also the Exhibitions with the quick release lever (also pre-1909...I have no idea how long these were in production)....and of course, they eventually produced the pot-metal Exhibition A.

On the UK side, I don't have the above referenced book, but I know the earlier one (gramophone and typewriter company), were made in the US, as were the Gramophone Co., and the ones with nipper. The "his master's voice" were English made. I have no idea what years they were produced. I have a small collection of Exhibition variations, so I figured, I'd share some pictures.
Could you please explain to me what you mean by "sloped".

Thank you,
Fran
I think I answered my own question by examining a couple of mine: sloped = concave fillet.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

*Deleted double post. Not sure why that happened.* :?:

fourbaers
Victor O

Post by fourbaers »

I recently picked up an odd Exhibition variant and wanted to see if other had seen another. It is an early Exhibition with nickel plated bezel AND back flange. Serial number looks like 106,161. It appears to be original plating and not something hacked (see photo). It has the early knurled lock nuts but the later triangular needle hole.
Attachments
Exhibition N2 & N2 #1 (from Zonophone).jpg