Tinplate Columbia?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Tinplate Columbia?

Post by Lucius1958 »

Stopped by an antique store on Rte. 85 this afternoon, and encountered an odd machine. Alas, I didn't have a camera, so I'll have to describe it.

The case was japanned tin, about 11-12" square, and about 8" high, with a small grille near the bottom, and decorated with a simple frieze of some composition like linoleum. The mechanism, tone arm and reproducer were clearly Columbia, with the crank and speed control both on the right side; but no identification except a patent label on the bottom.

It looked in decent original condition; and there was some residual power in the spring, as it started turning (somewhat noisily, though) when I lifted the needle off.

Has anyone encountered a Columbia client machine of this type? Any catalog illustrations?

Also, I am loth to pick up another machine to work on; but it was unusual enough to tempt me, and the tag price was $60. Decisions, decisions... ;)

Bill

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Tinplate Columbia?

Post by phonogfp »

Sounds like a Europa. For $60 it would be a good buy if complete.

There's one pictured on page 165 of Discovering Antique Phonographs.

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

phonogfp wrote:Sounds like a Europa. For $60 it would be a good buy if complete.

There's one pictured on page 165 of Discovering Antique Phonographs.

George P.
Thanks! I'll swing by there soon.

Bill

Edit: found the image!
columbia europa.jpeg
columbia europa.jpeg (28.44 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That's the baby! Good luck - -

George P.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

As George said, it's a Columbia Europa, which is extremely hard to find for sale... It came in two versions: a backmount horn machine and a hornless one, like your picture. I have only encountered two of these and I bought one of them for over $200. It is scarce because it was made in Germany just before WWI and when WWI broke out, the importation of these was stopped. Because they were cheap at the time, a lot of people scrapped them, since they did not want anything German made...

If the decorated portion around the machine is in good condition, this is a desirable machine. The decoration was made of pressed paper and is very fragile, so be careful with it...

PS: Bill, if you really don't want to mess with another machine, let me know where it is and I'll take it...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I had an outside horn version Europa many years ago that I sold and still regret selling.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 14&t=32956
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Curt A wrote:As George said, it's a Columbia Europa, which is extremely hard to find for sale... It came in two versions: a backmount horn machine and a hornless one, like your picture. I have only encountered two of these and I bought one of them for over $200. It is scarce because it was made in Germany just before WWI and when WWI broke out, the importation of these was stopped. Because they were cheap at the time, a lot of people scrapped them, since they did not want anything German made...
At the same time Columbia imported a quantity of German embossed horns with screw threads for Columbia elbows- these do turn up on occasion.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Curt A wrote:As George said, it's a Columbia Europa, which is extremely hard to find for sale... It came in two versions: a backmount horn machine and a hornless one, like your picture. I have only encountered two of these and I bought one of them for over $200. It is scarce because it was made in Germany just before WWI and when WWI broke out, the importation of these was stopped. Because they were cheap at the time, a lot of people scrapped them, since they did not want anything German made...

If the decorated portion around the machine is in good condition, this is a desirable machine. The decoration was made of pressed paper and is very fragile, so be careful with it...

PS: Bill, if you really don't want to mess with another machine, let me know where it is and I'll take it...
I'll head up there tomorrow to get it. But if you're really eager, you can travel up to southeast CT to claim it... :D

The decorated portion is good: just a little bit in the back is loose.

Bill

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

And, here's the little darling, home at last... :)
fullsizeoutput_8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8.jpeg (110.72 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
fullsizeoutput_9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9.jpeg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
fullsizeoutput_a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_a.jpeg (82.38 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
fullsizeoutput_b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b.jpeg (95.69 KiB) Viewed 1149 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

You did well - - congratulations!

George P.