Help!! Need some information on an old Colonial player.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeT1970
Victor Jr

Help!! Need some information on an old Colonial player.

Post by MikeT1970 »

30874588_10213965619267421_493723827_n.jpg
Hi Forum!
Need some information. I have a seller who owns a COLONIAL Talking Machine player (Picture attached to article) Guy wants $125.00 and "claims" it's tight when you wind it up. Sounds to me like a spring issue. Not thinking $125.00 is a good deal since it looks a tad rough in the photo as well.

Any thoughts on the History of this thing, Why it might be Tight in the winding process and what would you offer him?
Oh!! And are the parts readily available for this machine? I'm thinking the metal parts (tone arm and such) are made from the cheap brittle metal they used to use on the old metal cooking pans of the early days.
Any thoughts or information would be appreciated!!!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Help!! Need some information on an old Colonial player.

Post by estott »

Looks like a very generic machine. If the issue with the motor can be remedied easily (might just need oil) and the rest of the mechanics are good, then $125 is a decent price.

The arm is a universal sort and is presently in the position for vertical cut discs- I'd want to make sire it can be turned back to the lateral position.

MikeT1970
Victor Jr

Re: Help!! Need some information on an old Colonial player.

Post by MikeT1970 »

Thank you Estot I really appreciate your information and opinion.
I think I am going to tell my friend to pass on this and we will keep looking for a good Victor machine to put in her living room!