Cygnet Horn on a Two Minute Machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Cygnet Horn on a Two Minute Machine?

Post by Jerry B. »

Has anyone seen what they believe to be an original outfit (machine with horn) that is a two minute machine with a Cygnet horn? It's common to see 2&4 minute players with a Cygnet or a four minute only player with a Cygnet. How about a two minute player with a Cygnet that has come through the years together. Others? Speculation?

Jerry Blais

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Cygnet Horn on a Two Minute Machine?

Post by Phonofreak »

I don't think that was factory original. I think it was an upgrade by either a dealer, or the owner. I have seen that configuration a few times, myself.
Harvey Kravitz

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Every Cygnet Horn Edison machine I have is either a 4 minute, or a 2/4 minute. Russie

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

The Home Model-C was available with a Cygnet horn for $40.00 and the Triumph Model-C with a Cygnet horn for $60.00.

Rich Gordon

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I was thinking Model C machines, too. Good possibility. Now a question for George P.: do you know of any documented examples out there?

Jim

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

phonojim wrote:I was thinking Model C machines, too. Good possibility. Now a question for George P.: do you know of any documented examples out there?

Jim
I personally don't, but that doesn't really mean anything. Model Cs are scarce, and especially late examples not intended for ICS use. I've seen a number of Model C machines with Amberol Attachments. Although an owner of an Edison 2 minute machine could have it equipped with a Cygnet after 1909 WITHOUT including a 4 minute attachment, seemingly few went that route. After all, a record playing twice as long was the real draw.

Other than a rare late Model C machine, Cygnet horns seem to have originally sat atop Edisons capable of playing 4 minute records - at least in my experience.

George P.