Phonograph office- Zonophone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PhonoPhotoGuy
Victor Jr

Phonograph office- Zonophone

Post by PhonoPhotoGuy »

This photo was recently listed on eBay, item # 192512775490, and described as a “Photo of Office of Thomas Edison, circa 1912” based upon the post-it attached to the photo at the estate sale in Texas…...

Would Edison have had a table top disc phonograph with an outside horn in his offices?

Upon close examination it appears that this may be a scarce photo of Frank Seaman’s offices for the Zonophone phonographs and records.

There is the front mount Zonophone Grand Opera on the table and another brass horn above the safe.

And on the roll top desk of the worker closest to the safe there is an advertisement that says “The New Universal Zonophone and Disk Records.”

To the left of that ad there is the base of a zonophone phonograph with the horn removed - you can see the tell tale zonophone crank at the rear of the base.

And then the metal stand which has other zonophone advertisements and at the bottom a photo of a man and a large phonograph horn - unfortunately can not make out more of that photograph as it is too small

And what went on in the office where the door on the sign says – “Private No Admittance”? Was that Frank Seaman‘s office?
Attachments
IMG_7752.JPG
IMG_7751.JPG

vic-b
Victor I

Re: Phonograph office- Zonophone

Post by vic-b »

There is also another Zonophone in the left upper corner of the photograph, on the very top of the shelf/bookcase. The small Zonophone without the horn on the right could be a model "D" although there looks to be a speed control, or something coming out the back of the case, which is unusual. The interesting thing about the Grand Opera, is that the case is turned 45 degrees from how this would typically be displayed. So the broad side that we can see in the photo would have been the glass side. The "Grand Opera" decal would have been on the verso. The crank would have been all the way in the back, instead of on the "theater/audience left" if set up as we typically see them. The motor board is not the fancy one, and has the attachment for the travel arm support and the speed control opposite of where you would have expected them to be.The horn is also black and brass instead of just all brass.

I actually have this set up in my collection, but with an all brass horn.

I wish I would have seen this photograph on eBay! I certainly would have aggressively bid on it!!! As to it being the office of Frank Seeman, I am not enough of an expert to hazard a guess!

Best,
Jeff
Attachments
Miscellaneous 021.jpg
Miscellaneous 028.jpg
Miscellaneous 026.jpg
Miscellaneous 024.jpg

PhonoPhotoGuy
Victor Jr

Re: Phonograph office- Zonophone

Post by PhonoPhotoGuy »

Wow….!!!!!
Thank you for your expertise and eagle eye, Jeff.
I did see a couple of the things you mentioned…but there were many which were new and educational to me….thank you….
When I have a chance I will have to post some more of my phono pictures and see what you and others pick up that I have missed or was unaware of…..!!!!
These old pictures add another dimension to the phonographs, and in my case, movie projectors also, that we have in our collections….
All the best,
Alan