Found this zonophone locally. Don’t know much about these

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Found this zonophone locally. Don’t know much about thes

Post by Curt A »

I have seen one of these before, also... Just from a personal taste point of view, I have never liked the late Zono backmount/tonearm combo, but as I said it's just my opinion...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

FellowCollector wrote: ...
Regarding it being a transitional model, I doubt it as when Eldridge Johnson purchased a controlling interest in Universal Talking Machine (Zonophone) he did not mix and match Victor parts with Zonophone parts as far as I am aware. He kept the Zonophone models as they were. If I'm wrong in this please correct me. ...
Doug
While I cannot comment on the particular machine in this thread, the statement that Victor parts were not mixed into Zonophone machines is not correct as such. In fact, starting with the acquisition more and more internal motor parts from Victor were used in Zonophone models, probably as the older stock "Universal" parts were used up. The motors in the later Tapering Arm Zonophones were nearly identical to Victor motors of the same period, or maybe slightly older Victor stock may have been used up in Zonophones.

Andreas

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

The point I was trying to make with my prior comments is that after Johnson acquired a controlling interest in Universal Talking Machine Company there was an effort (presumably directed by Johnson) to maintain the current Zonophone models as they were by continuing to use Zonophone parts. And I included in my comments "...as far as I'm aware." since I obviously can only speculate based on what I have read in various books and examine in my own collection. Regarding the model in question, I obviously had no idea that Oxford marketed phonographs that used Victor cabinets and motor parts along with Zonophone back mounts and, in fact, I found this rather shocking in light of Eldridge Johnson's white knuckle control over his line of machines. I have several later Zonophone models in my personal collection and, while I see very close similarities relative to parts in my own Zonophones versus Victor parts I don't see any identical parts BUT then again it makes perfect sense that some late model Zonophones used actual Victor parts. My scope is very limited and I respect your comments.

Doug