Edison Standard D

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Tmahan72
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Vintagelvr

Edison Standard D

Post by Tmahan72 »

I have several phonographs in my collection but I recently got my first cylinder player. I love the look of the external horn on My Standard D. My question is, is it best to store with lid on and horn removed or is it ok to leave it always set up with top off for display?
Tammy
Tammy

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Standard D

Post by phonogfp »

Tammy, there are advantages to both approaches. For many years when my cylinder machines were downstairs where we lived, I kept the lids on to prevent dust from getting in the feedscrews - - and to make it unnecessary to dust the machines as often. One advantage of this was when I removed the lids and attached the horns. I was seeing the machines in a way to which I was not accustomed. It was a treat. A disadvantage was that if someone dropped in unexpectedly and wanted to see the phonographs, I needed 10-15 minutes to prepare everything.

Nowadays I leave the lids off for two reasons: 1) I like seeing the machines at their best whenever I'm up on the third floor. 2) Although heated and air conditioned, it's not living space, so it requires dusting only a few times a year. It takes 2 ½ - 3 hours to clean, but it's a pleasure.

Depending on how dusty your environment is, you can decide what's best for you. Enjoy your Edison Standard D - -

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The Standard D is a terrific choice for a first cylinder machine. Congratulations, Jerry Blais

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

phonogfp wrote:

Nowadays I leave the lids off for two reasons: 1) I like seeing the machines at their best whenever I'm up on the third floor. 2) Although heated and air conditioned, it's not living space, so it requires dusting only a few times a year. It takes 2 ½ - 3 hours to clean, but it's a pleasure.

Depending on how dusty your environment is, you can decide what's best for you. Enjoy your Edison Standard D - -

George P.
Maybe we can design a Plexi-glass cover like turntables have so at least we can enjoy and show the mechanics of the top works and keep the dust out.

Herman