Another Late Victor?/Zonophone?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Yamaphone
Victor O

Another Late Victor?/Zonophone?

Post by Yamaphone »

I bought this machine several years ago and don't know what to make of it. It appears to be all original, is in very good physical condition and plays very well. There are no extra holes or other indications that parts of other machines were added. One strange thing about the machine is that the horn is permanently attached to the elbow with rivets so that it can't be removed from the rest of the machine. The reproducer looks like a Victor "O" sound box. The horn is painted a beautiful red color but seems way too small in relation to the rest of the machine. It actually has the same size,etc. of a leather elbow style Berliner horn. The machine looks so out of proportion that I don't actually like it. I have been tempted to grind out the rivets to remove the horn. I think it would look great on a Victor B that I have that presently has a rather dingy black zinc bell horn. Could it be that the Victor Co. was using up leftover parts to assemble some machines?
Does anyone know anything about this machine?

Dan Z.
Attachments
020.JPG
019.JPG
018.JPG
016.JPG
015.JPG
013.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Another Late Victor?/Zonophone?

Post by Jerry B. »

I owned a very similar machine with a fixed position elbow. My horn was a flowered type with rounded panels. Your horn looks in really good condition... perhaps too good condition to be original. (Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so.) Cute machine. I always thought it was the last of the Zonophone Home. Jerry

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I hate to say it, but I think that horn is a reproduction by the brushed sheen of the brass and the way the bell meets the cone. :( I have a similar repro Berliner horn in black/ brass.

I do like the machine, though. The rest of it looks genuine.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Another Oxford Talking Machine, I believe that it should have a blue pedal horn.

Cheers, Bob S.
Attachments
OXVicII.jpg
OXVicII.jpg (261.06 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
1910_phonos (1).jpg
Last edited by Zwebie on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yamaphone
Victor O

Post by Yamaphone »

Thank you all for the comments especially Bob for the old advertisement. A larger horn would greatly improve the appearance of the machine.
If I saw my horn alone, I would also say that it was a reproduction. It just doesn't appear that anything was ever worked on to remove an original horn or to install a replacement.
Does anyone know if all these Oxfords have horns that can't be removed? Or is there some trick to removing them that I'm just not seeing?
Thanks again,
Dan Z.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Does anyone know if all these Oxfords have horns that can't be removed? Or is there some trick to removing them that I'm just not seeing?
The original horns were Bayonet Mounted on to a pin inside the throat of the cast support bracket.
You should be able to twist your horn to loosen it. (unless someone glued it in).

Bob S.
Attachments
Bayonet Mount.jpg