How did you like or dislike the new Stanton location?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

How did you like or dislike the new Stanton location?

Post by marcapra »

I took a break this time from the Stanton auction, but I understand they held it in a different town a good deal west of Charlotte. Now I can't wait until the Nov. one. Do you know if they are going to have it at the new location also? How do you like the new location? I wish they had kept it where it was. I was never that cold there, or I just put on a jacket, but there are some who may have felt the cold and made complaints.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: How did you like or dislike the new Stanton location?

Post by Curt A »

Where's the new location? I grew up in Michigan and you would have to go way far west to get warmer... maybe Arizona?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Gatyam
Victor I

Post by Gatyam »

I liked the new location with its larger building and better mens' room facilities, with the downside being the bad odor from the nearby hog confinement or other farming smell.

Remmotors
Victor O

Post by Remmotors »

The new location is just outside Hastings, MI at the county fairgrounds. The building has a roof that does not leak, heat and modern bathrooms. It is not right off a major freeway so it is not as easy to reach. I heard that Steve Stanton signed a lease, for less money, to keep the auction there. There are pros and cons but, bottom line, if there are phonographs being sold, we will be there!
Roy

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Is the new location just for the spring show, or for both spring and fall shows?

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

The new location is a vast improvement over Charlotte. Parking and access is better, the auction room bigger, cleaner and well-lit, and the town offers better accommodations and dining. From what little I know of the matter, Steve Stanton did not change the venue to save money, he simply wanted to make the auction a better all-around experience for all. And in my opinion, he succeeded.

On a sad note, auction regular and major collector, Nick Munios, passed away a few weeks ago. We will all miss him, a true gentleman. RIP, Nick.

Raphael
Last edited by Raphael on Wed May 02, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Oh, no!!! Nick was such a nice guy. So sorry to hear that.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

marcapra wrote:Is the new location just for the spring show, or for both spring and fall shows?
According to the catalog, the fall show will be in Hastings as well.

Raphael