Polly Portables

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mrhenry11
Victor Jr

Polly Portables

Post by mrhenry11 »

I have 2 Polly portables that I am restoring. Both of them will not play a record all the way through even on a very full wind-up. I tried to remove the spring on one of them and the end of the spring that attaches to the canister will not budge. I am wondering if when it was manufactured if they pressed the spring in place so it would not detach. Has anyone had any experience in replacing the spring on a Polly portable or the Brunswick Parisian?
Any help would really be appreciated. I talked to George Vollema and he said he can have them custom made.
Mike Henry

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Re: Polly Portables

Post by CDBPDX »

Hi, Mike. Can you show a photo of the end of the spring where it is attached so securely?

Sometimes, the end of the spring is secured to the spring barrel with a pin through a loop attached to the inside of the spring barrel and will not detach until that pin is pulled out. That is commonly used on Brunswick motors.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

mrhenry11
Victor Jr

Post by mrhenry11 »

Here is a picture of the spring still attached to the spring barrel. It is stuck.
Inside the spring barrel of the Polly portable. The spring will not detach.
Inside the spring barrel of the Polly portable. The spring will not detach.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Put a small portion of the spring back into the spring barrel, about ½ of a full loop. Grab hold of the spring and try to push it around inside the spring barrel while slightly twisting it back and forth. It can take a bit of effort, but it will eventually come out.

P.S. - Great picture! No pin...
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8