Victor Changer Type 1 Pot Metal Replacement Parts & Gears

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Victor Changer Type 1 Pot Metal Replacement Parts & Gear

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Garret wrote:Wayne,

I hope that your deal with the foundry enables you to save those patterns should you ever need them again!

Garret
It does.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Here’s most of my Boston Gear order for 19 sets (depleted Boston’s supply, 21 of the large gears are back ordered) and the colbalt drill bits to bore them out and make the pin holes. That’s another nearly $3000 invested into this project, including the drill press vise. Gonna hold off drilling these until the sample aluminum parts are received and verified. Note that it takes 2 different sizes per hole to drill them out in stages.
Attachments
54E731D4-9453-47D6-A31D-24EDEFE80038.jpeg

rvwenger
Victor I

Post by rvwenger »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:Stopped by the foundry this morning to check on status. They got the samples made and now just need to dril and tap them before I can take them to test them out. Two sets of samples are pictured below along with the pattern they made to produce them.

I dont own a 10-50 but this thread is amazing. Ive been looking at these two images in amazement at the amount of work that needs to be done to cast parts. Especially these parts. What a amazing project to save the music for generations to come. Just one more thought. Is it me or does the hole to the right of the 14X14 look like a place to mount a tone arm (into this hobby on a zen level).

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Hope everyone had a nice and safe 4th of July.

On Tuesday I picked up the four out of the five pot metal replacement part prototypes that were ready for testing. I've been testing them since. Though the castings are very nice, I found some slight changes in the drilling and milling that need to be made to all four prototypes. I will be providing that information to the foundry tomorrow. I was impressed however that they had created heavy steel jigs for drilling results to be consistent.

What was very interesting that I discovered during testing was that the two shafts of the record size selector gear assembly are at different angles to one another in the Early/Mid style Type 1 changer than in the Late style Type 1 changer. The Early/Mid is 125 degrees and the Late is 122 degrees. Though that doesn't seem like much but it is when it puts the center of the shaft of the small pinion gear off center with the gear/shaft 90 degrees to it coming down thru the changer to meet up with that pinion gear. I had given an original good condition pot metal gear assembly base from an Early/Mid style changer and so when I tested it on a Late style, the slight misalignment occurred. Then when I tested it on the proper Early/Mid style changer, the alignment was perfect. To verify these results, I tested the gear assembly on 2 more of each style changer and got the same results. So, my first production run of replacement parts kits will be for the Early/Mid style changers. These typically are the machines with the light bulb that illuminates the record playing area located in the lower left back area (versus the Late style that has the bulb above the record platter). To be sure which changer you have, please see the changer photos and machine details in my other posting entitled "Comparing the 3 styles of VE 10-50".

I will keep you informed of my project progress, stay tuned.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Thanks for all your efforts on this project. I am sure you will sell several sets.
Ken

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

I forgot to mention previously that I also verified that there were two different gear assembly base designs by going through the 6 unbroken pot metal ones I have. I put two of the long shafts into each side and traced their angles on paper. They all fell either into the 125 degree or 122 degree group.
Attachments
84499811-95B3-47AD-9A20-3B30B9A4C485.jpeg
66DC0491-C3EC-4E19-8EC7-87BAE8093B29.jpeg

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

The foundry pointed out to me that the little male part that protrudes from one of the two tabs on the record pad actually unscrews. The foundry will make the thread hole for me for that male part to screw into. So don’t throw that part away. I don’t know how they got it to unscrew on the nice original record pad I gave them to make the pattern and prototypes from. I can’t budge the ones on my broken tabs. I might have to use a chisel on the pot metal surrounding them to get them out to use on the replacement parts for my machines. Likely will just use a small stainless steel bolt on the Replacement Kits for those that had lost theirs.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Photo shows the re-usable male protrusion that unscrews and can be used on new aluminum replacement parts.
Attachments
image.jpg

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

After drilling out the bores and pin holes in 2 sets worth of gears, I have determined this task is not for me. Though I have expaned my tools and my abilities, the results aren’t perfect and is very tedious to me. Therefore, I have found a machine shop that will use their CNC machine to perfectly drill out the 8 holes per gear set of 4 for $25. That brings my cost of a set of brass gears to a little more than $150. I will be providing 4 stainless steel 3/32” cotter pins than can be used as an alternative to the original pins (but does have to be used instead). Incase folks lost their original pins or just want an easier assembly process. I still look at this cost as much better than paying the $75 per individual gear (the cheapest dealer quote) if I had Boston Gear do custom gears by creating these holes in their standard G485Y-G and G485Y-P products.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:After drilling out the bores and pin holes in 2 sets worth of gears, I have determined this task is not for me. Though I have expaned my tools and my abilities, the results aren’t perfect and is very tedious to me. Therefore, I have found a machine shop that will use their CNC machine to perfectly drill out the 8 holes per gear set of 4 for $25. That brings my cost of a set of brass gears to a little more than $150. I will be providing 4 stainless steel 3/32” cotter pins than can be used as an alternative to the original pins (but does have to be used instead). Incase folks lost their original pins or just want an easier assembly process. I still look at this cost as much better than paying the $75 per individual gear (the cheapest dealer quote) if I had Boston Gear do custom gears by creating these holes in their standard G485Y-G and G485Y-P products.
I'll pay your price plus any profit added. It is wonderful thing you are doing to help us who have never seen or heard our early Victor 10-50's function due to the pot metal pieces being bad. I have waited over 20 years to see and hear mine play and have perfect faith in you Mr. "Monkey!" :P
Best! Mark R.