The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Victor Changer Type 1 Pot Metal Replacement Parts & Gear
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:20 pm 
Victor O
Hello Wayne,

As a new owner of one of your restored 10-50s, I appreciate and applaud everyone's efforts to recreate these parts. I love my 10-50! Restoring these fabulous machines to their original glory is a labor of love and those of us who benefit from that truly appreciate all that you do!
Roy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:01 pm 
Victor II
Roy, Bob, Ken, Mark, Peter, and all fellow VE 10-50 lovers,

Your kind (and funny) words are always appreciated.

Abe,

3D ABS Replacement Parts Form-Fit-Function Evaluation - Part Two

The following details the results of my function testing of the 3D replacement parts printed in ABS plastic:

RECORD PAD & MAGAZINE STAND BASE:

1. With the adjustments made to the Record Pad as detailed in Part One, both of these parts test perfect when discarding and changing 10” or 12” records (with the exception of what is stated below).

2. As mentioned in Part One, the Record Pad does need to be made of metal. The extra weight of metal would allow it to counter the tension of said spring and rest in its proper position.

COLLAR ARM:

1. Unfortunately, due to the extra thickness of the lip detailed in Part One, this part could not be tested since when installed, it would inhibit the tonearm from rocking up into its off-record position.

GEAR ASSEMBLY BASE & GEARS:

1. Unfortunately the Gear Assembly Base will need more work. The small ¼” shaft gear over laps the ⅜” shaft partial gear that is mounted on the vertical shaft coming from the bottom of the changer by 50% to 75%. Also, the centers of these two shafts are not in alignment. Same results on Early/Mid or Late style changers. If I removed the two mounting bolts, I could position the Gear Assembly so things line up but then of course the mounting holes don’t line up with the female threads on the changer. The easiest fix to this would be to re-locate the two mounting holes. However, one hole would come extremely close to the part edge and therefore that area of the part should be slightly increased in size. I had the exact same situation occur with the cast aluminum prototype and applied the same resolution to the casting pattern and hole drilling positioning. I will email pictures separately.

2. Also, the mounting holes should be increased to ¼”. I will edit and add this detail to Part One.

RECORD SIZE SELECTOR LEVER:

1. Lever mounts nicely on the long shaft coming from the Gear Assembly but was unable to turn due misalignment of the gears mentioned above.

Summary:

1. I will mail you back the Collar Arm, Record Pad, Record Size Selector Lever, Gear Assemby Base and the Gears so you can address the issues detailed in Evaluations Part One and Two with the 3D company and hopefully your would then be able to send me the replacements when resolved.

2. The gears are okay with the increases of the hole sizes but thought you might want to verify the gear misalignment on your changer. I recommend do so on the changer out of the cabinet and upside down for easy installation and verification.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:16 pm 
Victor III
Couldn't you glue a weight under that record lifting pad, if that would save money on that part? I know what you mean though about that needing to drop back down all the way so it doesn't rub on the bottom of the record.

The fiberglass part that's on the tone arm of my 10-70 also caused trouble by rubbing underside the motor-board and I had to do some filing on it as well. You wouldn't think it to look at those parts, but they really are carefully fit into the space they work in. I do think that piece should be aluminum there since that needs to be fairly tight on the tone arm or it gets out of adjustment easily. I had to put friction tape around the base of my tone arm and that helped a lot with that problem. Maybe the resin you guys are working with won't cause any trouble in that regard.

Well good luck with all your work. Earl.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:03 pm 
Victor I
Victrola-Monkey wrote:
Roy, Bob, Ken, Mark, Peter, and all fellow VE 10-50 lovers,

Your kind (and funny) words are always appreciated.

Abe,

3D ABS Replacement Parts Form-Fit-Function Evaluation - Part Two

The following details the results of my function testing of the 3D replacement parts printed in ABS plastic:

RECORD PAD & MAGAZINE STAND BASE:

1. With the adjustments made to the Record Pad as detailed in Part One, both of these parts test perfect when discarding and changing 10” or 12” records (with the exception of what is stated below).

2. As mentioned in Part One, the Record Pad does need to be made of metal. The extra weight of metal would allow it to counter the tension of said spring and rest in its proper position.

COLLAR ARM:

1. Unfortunately, due to the extra thickness of the lip detailed in Part One, this part could not be tested since when installed, it would inhibit the tonearm from rocking up into its off-record position.

GEAR ASSEMBLY BASE & GEARS:

1. Unfortunately the Gear Assembly Base will need more work. The small ¼” shaft gear over laps the ⅜” shaft partial gear that is mounted on the vertical shaft coming from the bottom of the changer by 50% to 75%. Also, the centers of these two shafts are not in alignment. Same results on Early/Mid or Late style changers. If I removed the two mounting bolts, I could position the Gear Assembly so things line up but then of course the mounting holes don’t line up with the female threads on the changer. The easiest fix to this would be to re-locate the two mounting holes. However, one hole would come extremely close to the part edge and therefore that area of the part should be slightly increased in size. I had the exact same situation occur with the cast aluminum prototype and applied the same resolution to the casting pattern and hole drilling positioning. I will email pictures separately.

2. Also, the mounting holes should be increased to ¼”. I will edit and add this detail to Part One.

RECORD SIZE SELECTOR LEVER:

1. Lever mounts nicely on the long shaft coming from the Gear Assembly but was unable to turn due misalignment of the gears mentioned above.

Summary:

1. I will mail you back the Collar Arm, Record Pad, Record Size Selector Lever, Gear Assemby Base and the Gears so you can address the issues detailed in Evaluations Part One and Two with the 3D company and hopefully your would then be able to send me the replacements when resolved.

2. The gears are okay with the increases of the hole sizes but thought you might want to verify the gear misalignment on your changer. I recommend do so on the changer out of the cabinet and upside down for easy installation and verification.

So, would you consider letting me ad my five cast aluminum parts for an early 10-50 to your set of 21 to be machined; but mine at my expense? They look pretty much like yours. If not; I will probably send them to Pedro Martinez to machine along with the excellent original parts to use as a pattern. The only parts I am not sure about is the record sliding pad and the size selection knob. Although I still support you herculean efforts; If I can get my parts in with your bulk machining project and pay for the machining of mine--why should I purchase the same parts that I already had cast. Am I missing something here? My machine is not sitting all over the place. The cabinet is in tact as well as the turntable and all of the original parts except the record sliding piece and the know which are broken and are not good patterns to machine. I also asked about the fiber gears; or would you possibly sacrifice a set of your brass gears for my machine? I am sure that if things panned out for me through you; you would have none of your personal time put into my castings and I would be able to do any minor filing or fitting of my parts, once machined as necessary. Thanks! Mark Roberts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:39 pm 
Victor II
I’m sorry Mark, I have too many aches and pains in my body to take on any additional machining projects. All my castings are identical to each other and once I personally machine one set, I am hoping my local machine shop with their computerize equipment, can duplicate my work times 20. Your castings are not identical to mine and therefore would create many additional issues.

Additionally, my aluminum Gear Assembly Base casting is designed to fit the Boston Gear Company brass gears (model and source mentioned in an early posting on this topic) which have slight differences in dimensions than the original pot metal gears. I only had their shaft hole sizes increased and had pin holes drilled. The length of the gear hub would have to be milled shorter to fit the original designed Gear Assembly Base.

You know, these gears are simply for changing the record size, which in my mind should be a low priority. If I were you, especially since you have invested so much into the parts you have, is to get the record changing function to work first. That of course will take plenty of effort to get your machinist and yourself to get the Record Pad, Magazine Stand Base, and Collar Arm to function properly. These parts and function needs to work before worrying about changing the record size in my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9