Victor Changer Type 1 Pot Metal Replacement Parts & Gears

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Victor Changer Type 1 Pot Metal Replacement Parts & Gear

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

The pattern of the 5 pot metal replacement parts is done. The foundry is to have the first aluminum castings made this week for me to test out. The Boston Gears brass gears part of this project is working out good as well. They require no milling and boring the holes out to the proper ⅜” and ¼” is no problem. As was it a breeze to make the pin hole in the gears used to secure them to the shafts. I have seven 10-50s on custom carts to provide easy access for getting them ready. I have removed all the pot metal parts, and am working my way thru removing each changer/motor, breaking them down, and doing a thorough cleaning and oiling/greasing before reinstalling. Interesting is it are the differences of the 3 different styles of the VE 10-50 X. I will post the differences as a separate topic later.
Last edited by Victrola-Monkey on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Thanks for the update. I look forward to buying a set or two.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Just like to take a moment to honor those parts that have served us all these years...
Attachments
9B40D584-7C01-48F2-8E74-86809A000381.jpeg
8FD5E7FB-76F3-4470-835C-770DC0C39358.jpeg
0BE54EA0-02DF-46A9-AA7E-A67FC6BD9519.jpeg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Without a doubt, your parts will last much longer :D

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Stopped by the foundry this morning to check on status. They got the samples made and now just need to dril and tap them before I can take them to test them out. Two sets of samples are pictured below along with the pattern they made to produce them.
Attachments
1A8AA5ED-7654-43A5-BA00-F08791C86EE0.jpeg
A87664D6-74A1-4C42-94EC-7FBC7EA69CAE.jpeg
A87664D6-74A1-4C42-94EC-7FBC7EA69CAE.jpeg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 1673 times

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

The parts look great!! Please keep me in mind to be one of your first customers for a set or two.
Thanks for taking on this project!!!!
Ken Brekke

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Phono-Phan wrote:The parts look great!! Please keep me in mind to be one of your first customers for a set or two.
Thanks for taking on this project!!!!
Ken Brekke
I would very much like a set of parts, too. IN Addition--I took my 10-50 apart over 20 years ago to rebuild with Charlie Weatherbee parts, some parts that I had sand casted in aluminum and a couple parts that were plastic. I never got it back together; as I could never find anyone to "Machine" and drill and tap my parts.

WOULD YOU or someone on the forum be willing to "fit" the new parts onto my mechanism for a fee. I would gladly throw in the parts I have if anyone wants to "play" with them or list them on this forum when I finally get mine done.

I have short and long term memory problems and just don't remember enough to put this wonderful machine back together again "for the first time." I will be happy to ship safely and pay for shipping to and from along with labor costs. This is the only early changer I have except for my 19 jukeboxes which don't really count. I grew up and live in an area where people were mostly middle class income and have never found items and changers of the sort I have seen others post on the Talking Machine Forum. As a matter of fact, I drove from Central Ohio to an auction in New Jersey in my early 20's to get the machine I have at auction. Also had a Borgia II which is long gone and another later 10-50 that I sold for parts a couple of years ago due to its overall bad condition; Forgetting that I purchased it to use as a guide to put my machine back together. Stood by while the buyer took a large hammer and wrecking bar and tore that machine apart down to its individual pieces. Thank you very much. I have learned so much since joining this forum. Mark Roberts, Navarre, OHIO 44662.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Mark,

I would be happy to provide you with the aluminum pot-metal replacement parts, when they are ready. I may be stopping by Columbus Ohio on my indirect route to NJ from Florida at the end of July and could possibly swing north to get your 10-50 working properly, again if the replacement parts are ready. However, having all the other parts and in good clean working condition is the key. FYI, there will be no custom fitting or rework required to make my parts work. I can say after disassembling, cleaning, reassembling. oiling/greasing 13 changers in the last 3 weeks (as well as doing the same with half as many of their electric motors) and verifying their operation , I have become extremely familiar with the 10-50. I will message you my contact info.

-Wayne

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:Mark,

I would be happy to provide you with the aluminum pot-metal replacement parts, when they are ready. I may be stopping by Columbus Ohio on my indirect route to NJ from Florida at the end of July and could possibly swing north to get your 10-50 working properly, again if the replacement parts are ready. However, having all the other parts and in good clean working condition is the key. FYI, there will be no custom fitting or rework required to make my parts work. I can say after disassembling, cleaning, reassembling. oiling/greasing 13 changers in the last 3 weeks (as well as doing the same with half as many of their electric motors) and verifying their operation , I have become extremely familiar with the 10-50. I will message you my contact info.

-Wayne
Hi Wayne!

Got your call, PM and this message. I would consider it a BLESSING if you would be able to come to me and install your new parts. I have a brother in Columbus, and it takes about 1 ½ hours to get here from there. I would like to have the replacement brass gears that you are getting also; and just have a full set of your parts installed. Then--like I said--I can give my collection of unfinished parts to you or list them on the forum or EBAY for someone who might have a basket case 10-50 that they want to "play with" but possibly are new to the hobby or cannot afford the replacements. I think the time is right for me to get my machine going and will be around the entire summer. Should be able to even put you up for a couple of nights if need be. Would it help if I sent the chassis to you beforehand to go over the motor and other parts of it you mentioned; then have you possibly stop toward the end of July with my chassis and your parts and together we can make my 10-50 "sing" again for the first time in decades. Will be calling and sending PM soon. Just wanted to let everyone know what a great guy your are. Very few people left like us who would go out of their way for another collector. Best! Mark

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Wayne,

I hope that your deal with the foundry enables you to save those patterns should you ever need them again!

Garret