Victor Changer Type 1 Pot Metal Replacement Parts & Gears

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Victor Changer Type 1 Pot Metal Replacement Parts & Gear

Post by Phono-Phan »

There is a line of us waiting for these sets to become available. Wayne has done extensive research on this project and his efforts are greatly appreciated.
Ken

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Thanks for your kind vote of confidence fellow members.

At this point of the project, I have provided detailed corrections of the 5 replacement part prototypes to the foundry and they will be implemented by modifying the pattern and in the mill/drill/tap process. They will be creating additional drilling jigs so all holes are spot on. Also I have provided all the changer parts these replacement parts mate up with, so they can do some verification there at the foundry before and after they cast. They will be providing me with two new sets of prototypes when I return to town August 3rd.

If those prototypes test out good, I will go ahead and have 22 sets made. Tomorrow I'm picking up 21 sets of the Boston Gear brass gears from the machine shop. I verified one set they increased the bore hole size and added the hole for the pin, earlier in the past week. I'm very pleased with the work and the machinist.

I believe at this point I know about what my costs are and what I will ask, for each the 22 sets being made. Since I've been so open about this process, I might as well open with what my costs are and a summary can be seen below. Though the summary does not include the costs for paint, felt, or hardware (collar clamp screw, record stand bolt/nut, record pad screw, lever set screw, and cotter pins), I feel those costs will be small enough not to change my price. There has been certainly a bunch of other costs but, I really can't include them.

SUMMARY:

$2968 Pattern Board for Casting ($2800 x 6%)

$1516 Aluminum Cast & Mill/Drill/Tap 22 sets ($65 x 22 x 6%)

$2915 Boston Gear brass gears 22 sets of 4 ($125 x 22 x 6%)

$583 Machine Shop 22 gear sets with 2 holes per gear ($25 x 22 x 6%)

$7982 Total investment

$363 Cost per set ($7982 / 22)

$475 Sales Price for Forum members (on Ebay + 13%)

I will update this posting once I get the new prototypes in early August.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Wayne,
In my opinion, you are being very fair in pricing. You have taken on a huge project and must have a LOT of time dedicated to making these sets. I am not alone in appreciating your efforts. Let me know when they are available.
Thanks,
Ken Brekke

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Absolutely Ken. Anyone else interested in obtaining a set, please let me know and I'll get you in on the first casting production run.

Additionally, I have ordered two different types of hardware to hold the magazine stand to its aluminum replacement base. This will allow the method used to make the connection to be correct for the style of machine. I will be offering a brass dowel pin for the Early and Mid model changers and a slotted shoulder screw with the Late model changers. To see what the differences are of the different style changers, please see my other posting on the subject at:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=35926

This now makes two differences in the two different replacement kits I will be offering:

1. A three degree angle difference between the two shaft guides in the record size selector gear assembly aluminum replacement base, and

2. Either a dowel or shoulder bolt connection of the magazine stand to its aluminum replacement base.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:Absolutely Ken. Anyone else interested in obtaining a set, please let me know and I'll get you in on the first casting production run.

Additionally, I have ordered two different types of hardware to hold the magazine stand to its aluminum replacement base. This will allow the method used to make the connection to be correct for the style of machine. I will be offering a brass dowel pin for the Early and Mid model changers and a slotted shoulder screw with the Late model changers. To see what the differences are of the different style changers, please see my other posting on the subject at:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=35926

This now makes two differences in the two different replacement kits I will be offering:

1. A three degree angle difference between the two shaft guides in the record size selector gear assembly aluminum replacement base, and

2. Either a dowel or shoulder bolt connection of the magazine stand to its aluminum replacement base.
Hi Wayne!

Please put me down for the set of the earliest kits you are offering. My magazine base also has a metal dowel in it vs. a screw. I am convinced that I have one of the earliest versions of the 10-50 and want to install all of your parts once you get your kits together. After I get mine working--I will offer the parts I had made years ago to possible collectors who can't afford your parts at a discount because I know that someone with machine skills would be able to make the parts I had sand cast years ago work. Best, Mark Roberts

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Though I certainly expected the second round of prototypes from the aluminum foundry to be ready for testing by this week, I now expect them next week. I’m getting very anxious.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Wayne,
Thanks for the update. There are a number of us supporting your efforts on this project.
Ken

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Just dropped off the second round of the 5 prototype aluminum parts with the foundry after inspection and initial testing. They are to now implement the list of adjustments to the pattern and their final machining/drilling/tapping processes. Having patience is really hard for me but I have no choice in the matter. Thank you for your patience to those wanting a set of these parts. Will update the posting when progress occurs.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

The end result will be well worth the wait!!!
Ken

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Phono-Phan wrote:The end result will be well worth the wait!!!
Ken
Great to hear from you again! Happy that all is well. The parts will definately be worth the wait and you will be happy and satisfied with your efforts once collectors start installing their sets and getting their machines up and working again.

Mark Roberts