Phonospace (or, "Where's Waldo?)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Phonospace (or, "Where's Waldo?)

Post by fran604g »

Mormon S wrote:Yeah Tony, maybe this thread deserves another revival, I just looked through the whole thing. I've been collecting for 3 years, but I really started to get involved a year and a half ago, so I'm still in the "humble beginnings". Because I dont have a job yet, I can only relly on selling and reinvesting, so growth is slow but steady, so yes I've experienced much more than is in the picture. I also have the VV XVII which stays in another room.

Martin
That's the spirit! Happy collecting, Martin.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Wow. You guys own some beautiful machines and have some very beautiful homes. #Goals. I like my collection, but wont waste anybodies time showing my few phonos in this thread :lol: If the forum is around in ten years I hope to give some of you a run for your money!

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

One can only to to aspire to collections like Anil's and Rene's collections.. They are better than most Museums!!

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

travisgreyfox wrote:Wow. You guys own some beautiful machines and have some very beautiful homes. #Goals. I like my collection, but wont waste anybodies time showing my few phonos in this thread :lol: If the forum is around in ten years I hope to give some of you a run for your money!
I never viewed this thread as any kind of "competition" and I hope you don't either. I made my own contribution to the thread 4 years ago. When I look at those pictures now I can't believe how much has changed. Several of those machines have found new homes, one was upgraded, and really, only 2 or 3 are right where they were just 4 years ago. It's really more about what you like than trying to impress anyone. Nobody here expects anyone to have a world class collection after only a year or two - or really ever for that matter. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who has an appreciation for the hobby and respect for the preservation aspects of it is welcome to post in this thread, regardless of size or "value" of their collection.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

52089 wrote:
travisgreyfox wrote:Wow. You guys own some beautiful machines and have some very beautiful homes. #Goals. I like my collection, but wont waste anybodies time showing my few phonos in this thread :lol: If the forum is around in ten years I hope to give some of you a run for your money!
I never viewed this thread as any kind of "competition" and I hope you don't either. I made my own contribution to the thread 4 years ago. When I look at those pictures now I can't believe how much has changed. Several of those machines have found new homes, one was upgraded, and really, only 2 or 3 are right where they were just 4 years ago. It's really more about what you like than trying to impress anyone. Nobody here expects anyone to have a world class collection after only a year or two - or really ever for that matter. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who has an appreciation for the hobby and respect for the preservation aspects of it is welcome to post in this thread, regardless of size or "value" of their collection.
Well said! Hear, hear!! :)

George P.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Almost forgot... George P. 's collection is pretty kick butt too!!!

My very first Phonograph book ever that actually helped get me into this hobby was "The Talking Machine" By Tim Fabrizio and George P.

It is a wonderful book and a "Must Get" in my humble opinion for any Phonograph collector. The photos in the book are just stunning.

Thank You for your contributions to the hobby George P. You have done so much for this hobby to help bring in newer collectors..

Years ago, I was lucky enough to actually meet Tim Fabrizio on two separate occasions at two different Orlando Phonograph shows over
the years...

He is quite a fascinating guy and a walking book of Phonograph knowledge... I remember that I was looking at a specific Edison Bell

Phonograph one time at a show, and I passed on it because it was missing some impossible to find parts... right after I passed on it,

Tim Fabrizio came up from behind me and bought it and said.. "I have the parts to complete this machine!"....lol.. The funny things

that you remember...lol..

Tony K.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

George Paul's collection is one of the finest I know of, and certainly one of the most beautifully presented. I envy him having so much room!

I have never considered collecting to be competitive. We all have our interests and we all enjoy our treasures. I've never begrudged anyone for finding machines that I might have wished to own. There's plenty to go around.

I am completely appalled by a (relatively) recent trend in coin collecting, which is flat-out competition. One of the third-party grading services set up a "Registry Set" competition where collectors can post about their specific collection focus, and compete against other collectors in the same field -- with the third party grading service setting the standard and choosing the 'winner.' I find this revolting, but it has been hugely lucrative to coin dealers and auctioneers as people spend incredible amounts of money for fundamentally common coins because they have a very high grade. A coin worth $20 in superb "MS-65" condition might sell for $10,000 if if happens to be put in a "slab" with a label calling it "MS-69." There's no real basis for such prices, other than a handful of "registry set" collectors all wanting the best of the best to "win" their niche. I have to give begrudging respect for utterly brilliant marketing by coin dealers and graders, but collecting is not a sport and competitive collecting is simply wrong in my opinion.

Bottom line: I collect for me. If others like what I have, great. But I don't need anyone's validation. I buy what I like, and I appreciate them.

Since I posted photos a few years ago I have downsized quite a lot. But my house is still bursting at the seams. I seriously, really, don't understand how I could have sold 25 machines and still have absolutely no room. :shock:

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

One of numerous "nice guys" on this forum is Bob Barnett (who is an outstanding videographer as well). I very much like the subscript he displays on his postings:

"Comparison is the thief of joy. - Theodore Roosevelt"

People collect different things for a lot of different reasons. I'm fine with that, as long as ego doesn't worm its way into forums like this and make some feel inferior, and others feel superior. We all started out owning nothing and knowing nothing. There's no shame in that. Nor is there anything wrong with maintaining an interest for a half-century with a collection of perhaps a half-dozen machines and records of personal favorites. That person enjoys his/her collection, and isn't that the idea?

My philosophy on "bigger/better/rarer" appears on the first page of this thread, so I won't repeat it here. But my advice is to collect what you like and consider what Teddy wrote above. :)

Best to all,
George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

NEFaurora wrote:Almost forgot... George P. 's collection is pretty kick butt too!!!

My very first Phonograph book ever that actually helped get me into this hobby was "The Talking Machine" By Tim Fabrizio and George P.

It is a wonderful book and a "Must Get" in my humble opinion for any Phonograph collector. The photos in the book are just stunning.

Thank You for your contributions to the hobby George P. You have done so much for this hobby to help bring in newer collectors..

Tony K.

Thanks for your kind words about my collection and our first book, Tony. It's sobering when I realize that the First Edison of The Talking Machine Compendium appeared 22 years ago! Even the Second (Revised & Expanded) Edition is now 14 years old! Good grief!

George P.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

I took a break from yard work and internet this afternoon.
I sat listening to the blues for an hour.
My phonospace felt good in this light, so I took a snapshot.
DSCN0192.jpg
James.