Additional machines in the house of the Attic Amberola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Bryan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: It plays a what now?

Additional machines in the house of the Attic Amberola

Post by Bryan »

Hi Folks -

As I mentioned in a previous post, the grand-daughter of my great uncle inherited his collection of phonographs. His stuff all got boxed up quickly after he died in the early 1990s and it's been sitting in her attic since. I'm in the process of converting all my grandparents' and great-uncles' home movies and after contacting her to inquire about the home movies he shot (which go back to the '20s), we got together. I think after assessing me as a history and mechanically minded person, she mentioned his other stuff mainly the phonographs and offered me the Amberola 75 as a kind of "thank you" for taking on the home movie preservation. She's very interested in seeing the movies as well.

In any case, while I was getting the Amberola out of the attic I took a few pictures of some of the other phonograph pieces and parts. As I educate myself on these, I think some of it might be of some value. This is all her stuff, I have no access to it, although I am keeping a close eye on it. She lives only a few minutes from me.

Without further ado...
Attachments
Another cylinder player, unknown model, and some more disc player parts I think.
Another cylinder player, unknown model, and some more disc player parts I think.
This is one tub of cylinders. Most seem to be Amberol 4-minute.
This is one tub of cylinders. Most seem to be Amberol 4-minute.
Some pieces I think are from an Edison disc phonograph which is buried there somewhere too.
Some pieces I think are from an Edison disc phonograph which is buried there somewhere too.
Dunno if these are for disc or cylinder players?

Bryan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: It plays a what now?

Re: Additional machines in the house of the Attic Amberola

Post by Bryan »

Hi Folks -

I'm not sure how many photos you can add to a single post so I'm continuing here.

This machine is set up in her living room. I think this is where we have "the good stuff".

Bryan
Attachments
Model H 4-minute reproducer.
Model H 4-minute reproducer.
Without the horn crane the torque from the horn seems to be pulling the reproducer out. Eeeek!
Without the horn crane the torque from the horn seems to be pulling the reproducer out. Eeeek!
IMG_20180505_110315.jpg
Incredible looking cabinet with pegs for holding cylinders (she explained it because we couldn't get the door unstuck and look).
Incredible looking cabinet with pegs for holding cylinders (she explained it because we couldn't get the door unstuck and look).
Cabinet door was stuck during my visit and I don't know if it's full of cylinders.
Cabinet door was stuck during my visit and I don't know if it's full of cylinders.
IMG_20180505_110258.jpg
I think the horn should be supported by a horn crane. No horn crane present.
I think the horn should be supported by a horn crane. No horn crane present.
IMG_20180505_110237.jpg
This setup stops you in your tracks when you walk into the living room.
This setup stops you in your tracks when you walk into the living room.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

WOW!!! That poor Edison Home Phonograph!

I bet the guide rod for the carriage arm is
flexing in an upward direction with all of that
overhung weight.

Not to mention the severe force on the
reproducer neck....

When I see stuff like this, it really amazes me,
and not in a good way... :shock:

Yes, by all means, Jerry is correct in his post
below that the first order of business next time
you get over there is to get that heavy horn
off of that Home machine ASAP. Hopefully the machine
is not too damaged.
Last edited by Chuck on Mon May 07, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

You show some nice things in your photos. In addition to a couple of nice horns you see some Victor horn machine parts such as the slotted crank and the back bracket and tone arm assembly. Plus there's the top works for an Edison Standard.

Yes, that appears to be much too large a horn to be supported entirely by the reproducer on the Home. The photo shows the reproducer already about half way out of the carriage. I would strongly suggest that the horn be removed immediately. I'll bet there is a horn crane somewhere in the attic. Look for some metal rods and assorted small parts. If unsuccessful, Ron Sitko sells a nice replacement for about $75. Look in the links section of our Forum for contact information. If left as is, you run the risk of breaking the neck on the reproducer or the reproducer is pulled out of the carriage and damage to the horn from the resulting fall.

The Home is a Model B which left the factory as a two minute player. When four minute cylinders were introduced in 1908 Edison made parts available to convert all prior machines into combination 2&4 minute players. The Home was converted. Also, approximately the first third of the B Homes had the desirable banner decal.

The record cabinet could well be the prize of the collection. It is spectacular.

So your next assignment is to take care of that Home. Please separate the horn from the reproducer. If the horn feels stuck to the reproducer, support the horn and back off the knurled screw that holds the reproducer and remove the reproducer with the horn. If the reproducer is stuck in the carriage please report back for additional suggestions.

Best wishes, Jerry Blais

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Very nice! Good luck with everything.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

The Standard works could be from a Model A or B. The cloth obscures where the speed control would be on an A: but I'm guessing it's a B with the internal speed control.

The (Herzog?) full barrel cylinder cabinet is an absolute wonder!

And, yes, get a crane for that Home posthaste: the only horn that doesn't need a crane is the small 14" "witches' hat" type.

Bill

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Could that wood box that the standard part is in be part of the Victrola that that horn and tone arm will attach to. ??/ Tom

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Could that wood box that the standard part is in be part of the Victrola that that horn and tone arm will attach to. ??/ Tom
I don't think so. Victor horn cabinets are square not rectangular. It would be fun to have a look in that attic. Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

That round record cabinet is a VERY desirable item. Tell her not to let anybody talk her out of it without knowing more about it.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

JerryVan wrote:That round record cabinet is a VERY desirable item. Tell her not to let anybody talk her out of it without knowing more about it.
Absolutely! I would love to get that cabinet!! Perfect for my opera.
J.F.