Questions about selling safely

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Questions about selling safely

Post by gramophone-georg »

Vinrage_mania wrote:Selling internationally should be approched carefully because Pay Pal can and DOES side with the buyer ,in my opintion on eBay the GSP (global shipping program) is the only way to go because once it the buyer can not use the scam I did not get the item . eBay will tell the buyer to pound sand, since they open the item prior to coustoms clearing they know what shape it was at the time it left them(good for the seller) so that should alway be the default on Ebay IMHO

The downside there is eBays contract shipper ....but don't get me going on that!
eBay is starting to weasel out of that commitment from what we've been seeing on the discussion boards over there lately, unfortunately.

I used to just love selling on eBay. Sold lots of stuff there including exotic German cars. I sold the only Porsche 356 in Iceland on eBay! :lol:

I wouldn't touch eBay to sell now with a 10 foot pole and a 20 foot extension. They've become too expert at causing needless stupid headaches for the sellers that pay them.

I haven't had any issues with PayPal yet. Knock on wood. The first will be the last. I've been with the Pal since the month they started!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

Wolfe wrote:Accept no checks whatsoever. We're well beyond the point where a 'buyer' can have a legtimate beef with that policy.
Although I must respect the nature of this comment, I personally disagree with it. I carry small amounts of cash with me. If I have made a purchase, and will be taking possession of an item, I may have the cash amount on hand or a bank check. However, if I am attending a show, an auction, or any event where the potential to purchase something is possible, I will not take the amount of cash necessary to purchase a more expensive item. I do not even own a credit card, and my only bank card is a debt card. The debt card has a low cap on it in the event that it gets stolen or of identity theft. I carry my business check book everywhere that I travel. I also maintain a list of references. I can write a check for nearly any amount necessary to make the purchase, and my bank will honor that check. Although I can encourage a leery seller to call the bank to get a verbal approval on the check, many times the transaction may take place after hours or on a weekend/holiday when the bank is not open.
If the seller will not take my check at certain venues, they sacrifice the opportunity of a significant sale. If this is considered living in the past century, then so be it. However, I have amassed a significant collection by abiding by principles such as this.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Hailey wrote:
Wolfe wrote:Accept no checks whatsoever. We're well beyond the point where a 'buyer' can have a legtimate beef with that policy.
Although I must respect the nature of this comment, I personally disagree with it. I carry small amounts of cash with me. If I have made a purchase, and will be taking possession of an item, I may have the cash amount on hand or a bank check. However, if I am attending a show, an auction, or any event where the potential to purchase something is possible, I will not take the amount of cash necessary to purchase a more expensive item. I do not even own a credit card, and my only bank card is a debt card. The debt card has a low cap on it in the event that it gets stolen or of identity theft. I carry my business check book everywhere that I travel. I also maintain a list of references. I can write a check for nearly any amount necessary to make the purchase, and my bank will honor that check. Although I can encourage a leery seller to call the bank to get a verbal approval on the check, many times the transaction may take place after hours or on a weekend/holiday when the bank is not open.
If the seller will not take my check at certain venues, they sacrifice the opportunity of a significant sale. If this is considered living in the past century, then so be it. However, I have amassed a significant collection by abiding by principles such as this.

I totally agree. I attend the Union and other shows with almost no cash. Only once have I had to pass up a deal because of a “no check” policy by a seller.

And, as a seller, I will accept cash but it does not affect the sale price, as depositing cash into my account poses all sorts of problems on the front end (bank report to the IRS) and on the back end (in case of an audit).

Also, as a dealer, check or PayPal transactions provide a clear and permanent record for me. As I get older and memories fade, the amount I paid for something can be easily determined, even years later.

There are entire societies these days such as Sweden that are virtually cashless. Checks may be obsolete soon, too, as electronic payments become the norm. I have bought and sold at shows and just used my phone to pay or accept payment for an item.

Raphael

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

My last (and final) experience with selling a machine on eBay resulted in the buyer opening an item not received case and PayPal immediately withdrew the funds from my account. I checked the FedEx tracking and was able to see that not only was it delivered, but I was able to obtain a copy of his signature. eBay ruled in my favor, but it took days to get my money back even though it only took seconds for them to take it. They should not be allowed to take MY money without any sort of preliminary investigation just because someone claims they didn't get something even though the tracking showed as delivered and was even uploaded to eBay and showed delivered there too. Obviously this is not the norm, and I've had mostly good experiences with selling on eBay, but lately they seem to be shifting more toward a marketplace structure and those of us just selling our extra collectibles are shat upon. I was so disgusted with the entire scenario that I ended all of my listings and deleted my PayPal account (for this and other reasons.)

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I respect Haley and Raphael's position on checks and, of course, would take theirs. But that doesn't stop me from preferring payment from them or anyone to be in cash. The money stops circulating if it's a check. I wouldn't doubt that a $100 bill changes hands a dozen times in a huge sale like Union. When you make a purchase at any sale ask the seller if they prefer a check or cash. I have no doubt over the vast majority of replies.

Respectfully, Jerry Blais

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

Jerry B. wrote:I respect Haley and Raphael's position on checks and, of course, would take theirs. But that doesn't stop me from preferring payment from them or anyone to be in cash. The money stops circulating if it's a check. I wouldn't doubt that a $100 bill changes hands a dozen times in a huge sale like Union. When you make a purchase at any sale ask the seller if they prefer a check or cash. I have no doubt over the vast majority of replies.

Respectfully, Jerry Blais
Jerry,
Thanks, my friend, for the words. I totally see your point. However, I will never carry $10,000 - $20,000 in cash simply with the expectations of making a purchase. In addition, for security purposes, my bank and myself have agreed on an amount to honor via PayPal if a transaction comes through. So, once again, and for sound security reasons, there remains inherent limitations with purchasing on my behalf. Whereas, with my business account...I write a check for any amount...I email my bank president...I see him the next business day. Done.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

$10,000 - $20,000 in cash
I can only dream. :mrgreen: This year I am machine rich and cash poor. Jerry

victorthesixth
Victor I

Post by victorthesixth »

Thanks everyone

It seems to me selling a phonograph is safe provided one takes reasonably precautions. As many know of course ebay is no longer a friend to sellers.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Here is what happened o me I had a buyer in Japan bidding on 2 of my auctions he bought and paid for the first item then won the second about 18 hours later ....I had held the first win because he was sure he was going to win item number two and wanted to combine shipping to save $$$ ok fine he did indeed win again and paid for both ., them less than 4 hours later
Filed a case with PP that he never got the first !! Soooo the pulled ALL the money back!!! The timeline did not seem to concern
PP as much as him saying the item had not arrived!

I was lucky a good friend of mine was returning to Japan about the same time ....I told the buyer the debit was going to be transferred from me to my buddy and he would resolve the issue in Japan in about an hour my money was returned

victorthesixth
Victor I

Post by victorthesixth »

I think your buyer decided he didn't want the items